[Ark and Bimah, main sanctuary at Beth-El Congregation]

Description

Photograph, taken in 2000, of the "bimah" or altar in the main sanctuary at Beth-El Congregation, 207 W. Broadway, Fort Worth. The building was constructed in 1920, rebuilt in 1948 after a fire gutted the interior, and remodeled in 1981. The 1948 rebuilding and redesign were by the Hungarian-American interior designer Erno Fabry. His design ideas include the stone wall behind the altar, built with reddish Colorado travertine, the ark (which contained the Torahs) framed with gray-veined cremo-Italian marble, as well as the gate with its Art Deco design, and the copper-colored menorahs flanking the ark. In 1981, architect-designer John ...

Physical Description

1 photograph : col. ; 8 x 10 in.

Creation Information

Lauer, Ralph 2000.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2010 and was provided by Beth-El Congregation Archives to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 251 times , with 4 in the last month . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

  • Lauer, Ralph "Photo by Ralph Lauer for Beth-El Congregation Archives"

Architect

  • Cohen, John Mike John Mike Cohen of St. Louis; remodeled the sanctuary in 1981.

Designers

Rights Holder

For guidance see Citations, Rights, Re-Use.

  • Unknown

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Beth-El Congregation Archives

The Beth-El Congregation Archives collection includes photographs of confirmation classes dating from 1905 to the present, as well as social events from their community. The collection also includes handwritten notes from the first and second organizing meetings of Beth-El Congregation in 1902.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph, taken in 2000, of the "bimah" or altar in the main sanctuary at Beth-El Congregation, 207 W. Broadway, Fort Worth. The building was constructed in 1920, rebuilt in 1948 after a fire gutted the interior, and remodeled in 1981. The 1948 rebuilding and redesign were by the Hungarian-American interior designer Erno Fabry. His design ideas include the stone wall behind the altar, built with reddish Colorado travertine, the ark (which contained the Torahs) framed with gray-veined cremo-Italian marble, as well as the gate with its Art Deco design, and the copper-colored menorahs flanking the ark. In 1981, architect-designer John Mike Cohen of St. Louis oversaw a major remodeling of the sanctuary with peach carpet, chairs, and fiberglass lights resembling a flock of dove.

Physical Description

1 photograph : col. ; 8 x 10 in.

Subjects

Keywords

Library of Congress Subject Headings

University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2010

Rescuing Texas History 2010, presents local history materials from twelve partners: Bell/Whittington Public Library, Cedar Hill Museum of History, Cleveland Historic Society, Cooke County Library, Dallas Firefighters Museum, Dallas Municipal Archives, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, Fort Worth Jewish Archives, Friench Simpson Memorial Library, Harris County Archives, Longview Public Library, McAllen Memorial Public Library, Mesquite Public Library, Midwestern State University, Richardson Public Library, St. Philips College, Texas Woman's University, and the University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • 2000

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The Portal to Texas History

  • Oct. 11, 2011, 4:13 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Aug. 4, 2013, 3:48 a.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 4
Total Uses: 251

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Start Viewing

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Lauer, Ralph. [Ark and Bimah, main sanctuary at Beth-El Congregation], photograph, 2000; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth188538/: accessed July 28, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Beth-El Congregation Archives.