The Spirit of Missions Page: 96
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
locations throughout North Austin and Round Rock.
Partnerships with St. James Episcopal Church and
Montessori are part of St. David's ongoing educa-
tional outreach. St. James operates a church and
school located at 3701 East Martin Luther King
Boulevard. Among St. James' three Sunday ser-
r vices is an evening 7:00 Holy Eucharist, featuring
contemporary jazz music. Since 1998, St. David's
Episcopal Preschool has been a children's haven in
the midst of Austin's busy downtown district.
Housed at the church, the preschool uses
Montessori teaching methods.
Assisting Quin since 1945, John Eldridge Each year, Austin's SXSW Interactive
Hines became bishop in 1956 and presiding
bishop in 1965. Quin'sfriend, Joe Greenhill, Festival commemorates its founder, a St. David's
helped Hines with a lawsuit filed to enjoin
seminary construction in Austin. Greenhill's Sunday School teacher. Parishioner Dewey
law partners, Chris Dougherty and Ireland
Graves, let him take the case pro bono. Winburne lives on through his contributions to
After Greenhill argued and won before the
Supreme Court of Texas, Hines gave him a the interactive field. His exploration of effective
briefcase. In 1951, The Episcopal Theological
Seminary of the Southwest commenced first educational software attracted National Joint
year training "in conjunction with the Austin
Presbyterian Seminary." The Episcopal Study Partnerships with IBM, Apple Computer
Seminary location on Bowman Avenue was
given by "the Villavaso family." Tarry House
bought the Bowman site, and the seminary In October; 1959, St. David's celebrated with a "ribbon-cu ting ccermonv and a
relocated to 606 Rathervue Place. Reprinted blessing" to open this first Next-to-New shop at 1620 Lavaca Street. Interior
by permission from "The History and decorator Edmund John Revell proposed the idea to the Rev. Charles Sumnceis
Treasures of St. David's Church." The Rector's wife, Virginia Sumners, recalled that Revell "gave us small pieces
of furniture and all kinds of pillows and mirrors and things to help us get start-
ed." The shop's rapid growth and need for more space prompted the move to its
present location at 5308 Burnet Road. Most of the staff are volunteers, includ-
ing many women from St. David's. Each month, half of the shop's substi Ial
proceeds are distributed by St. David's to serve the poorly: , anJ n fcJv
Austin. Courtesy, St. David's Episcopal Church Archivec
and The University of Tlexas in 1 986. At the time of his death
in 1999, Winburne was creating innovative online training
to prepare welfare recipients for employment. The forerun-
ning work by his company, Interactive Architex, continues
through IC2 Institute, George Kozmetzsky's think tank at The
University of Texas. In 2000, the City of Austin posthu-
mously commemorated Winburne with a telecommunica-
tions award. The Dewey Winburne Community Service
Award is presented each year in his memory during the
SXSW Interactive Festival in Austin.
St. David's helped start the Austin Salvation Army. This
outreach to the poor started in 1889 and has guided St.
David's response to changing needs in Austin. "At least since
7 . I
96 THE 6PlRITl OF MIssIONS
E - - -4wmm man .
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Fowler, Beth. The Spirit of Missions, book, 2000; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth201190/m1/100/: accessed October 22, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting St. David’s Episcopal Church.