Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 198 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
William B. Ochiltree, father of the illustrious
Colonel Thomas P. Ochiltree, held the
first court in the county, and was followed by
Amos Clark, Bennett H. Martin, and John
H. Reagan. N. M. Burford was elected judge
in 1856, of a new district created in 1852.
John W. Ferris of Ellis county succeeded
Burford, and held same until the election
provided under the constitution of 1866.
Then followed John J. Good, of Dallas,
who was chosen and held the same until removed
in 1867, by the authorities during the
reconstruction days, claiming that he was
," an impediment to reconstruction."
D. O. Norton, of Parker county, was appointed
in his stead, and, he having been
removed by death, A. Banning Norton of
Dallas, was appointed to the office. He
served until 1870, when Governor Davis
appointed C. T. Garland. Garland was followed
by Iardin Hart, who resigned in 1873.
Hickerson Barsdale of Dallas followed Hart.
N. M. Burford was elected in 1876, and
served until about July, 1877, at which time,
he having resigned, Governor Hubbard appointed
Zimri Hunt his successor. Then
George N. Aldridge, in 1878, was elected,
and served until 1888.
In 1888, Robert Emmett Burke was
elected, and his term of office will last until
Dallas county being one of the most populous
counties in the State, and the city ol
Dallas, having grown to such proportions as
to be very justly denominated the " metropo
lis of the State," the vocations ofher citizens
as different men see different things in different
light, litigation also kept pace with the
rapid growth and numerous industries of
the city and country, and the necessity for
more courts became obvious; and to that end
a bill for the division of Dallas county into
two judicial districts was introduced into the
Twenty-first Legislature of the State, which
convened at the city of Austin, January 8,
1889. The bill passed both branches of the
legislature and became a law, and the result
was the establishment of an additional district
court known as the district court of the
Forty-fourth Judicial District of Texas; and
the south half of Dallas county, or that part
south of the Texas and
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/198/: accessed August 21, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.