Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 241 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
Cornwell, Thos. H. Nance, John King, Sam.
King, J. Peak, Jas. Galbreath, A. J. Gouffe,
L. Von Gronderbeek, Otto Frick, F. L.
Behng, L. P. Hauser, Jacob Vogel, Julien
Reverchon, Wm. Jackson, Jacob Tiler, Jas.
C. Miller, S. H. Beeman, F. L. Churignon,
J. D. Keaton, N. T. Johnson, W. A. Harwood,
J. M. Braun, E. W. Field, A. L. Carnett,
Martin Riggs, Win. Irwin, Wm. B.
Cole, S. Mayer, Win. A. Riggs, W. H.
Saunders, F. Davis, Win. D. Waters, E. T.
Myers, R. L. Sears, Frank M. Cox, Newton
Hutchen, W. Von Gronderbeek, Alexius
Barbier, F. Priot, G. Poitevin, J. Nusbauner,
M. Livy, J. McConmas, Chas. G. Vingard,
Allen Collins,'N. B. Owen, R. B. Gannaway,
Jas. Winters, E. G. Bower, J. K. P.
Record, N. M. Burford, T. G. T. Kendall,
W. H. Ragsdale, J. M. Richards, Jonathan
Petty, J. W. Bumpass, A. Pemberton W.
M. L. Hall, J. W. Everett, Jas. O. Thomas,
J. D. Kerfoot, W. Mays, John Chenault, John
Coit, J. W. Cobb, T. B. Scott, H. L. Hicks,
S. S. Jones, Sam. Dunaway, Isaac Jones,
Enoch Strait, J. M. Martin, Isaac B. Webb,
W. D. Chapman, Isaac Bates, Joseph Bigler,
Raleigh C. Martin, R. D. Coughanour, Jas.
H. Field, J. C. Drake, Jr., W. F. Flewellen,
D. J. Ellis, J. K. White, Chas. R. Pryor,
E. E. Russell, John P. Isbell, S. B. Stone,
J. J. Beeman, J. M. Pruitt, J. W. Miller,
H. C. Smidt, Amon McCommas, W. J.
Pruitt, F. N. Humphreys, J. P. Beeman, L.
B. Sands, F. F. Ball, Tom Johnson, Jas. McCommas,
Andrew Pruitt, Q. J. H. Smith,
T. J. Jackson, J. Jeffries, Lewis Pyles, G.
L. Blewett, J. T. Corcoran, J. R. Fondren,
J. B. Lowery, Geo. White, W. T. Gill, G.
W. Hatter, Sam. Uhl, A. S. Clark, N. R.
Fondren, George Marier, W. Cotton, John
Candle, R. S. Guy, Wm. Waters, John Harvey,
In 1873 the legislature did grant a subsidy
in land certificates of 10,(00 acres per mile
to Captain Poitevant, a steamboat captain,
and he removed the overhanging timbers
and snags on the river as far as Magnolia, in
Anderson county. At this point he stopped.
He received, however, his certificates for land
on contract, for his services. As many as
fifty steamboats ran continuously from 1852
to 1874, up the Trinity river as high'as
Trinidad in Iaufnman county; also to Porter's
Bluff in Ellis county. A live shipping business
of cotton of general freight was carried
on. In the '70s, however, the railroads began
to traverse the country and, under excitement
over the rapid travel over these
avenues of commerce, attention to navigation
was lost; and so greatly were the people absorbed
over the rapid transportation of railroads
and the strides of business generally
that the idea of traversing the Trinity river
with steamboats seemed absolutely absurd.
But some of the pioneer settlers, knowing
the history of the past, knew the idea perfectly
feasible and continued to encourage
efforts in that direction.
Colonel W. C. Wolff was the leading spirit
to revive this interest lately excited among
the citizens of Dallas. Having failed at several
public meetings in Dallas to get a hearing,
proposing the feasibility of the navigation
of the Trinity, he finally succeeded in
getting the attention of the B.oard of Trade
of the city. At this hearing he aroused attention
to say the least, and since then a
live interest has been nanifested by some of
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/241/: accessed June 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.