Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 251 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
business; but Dallas as usual was equal to the
occasion, and hence both fairs continued to
a successful holding the same week. Fair
stock, it is true, was not much sought after
by the average citizen, and humanity could
not resist the temptation of taking advantage
of this rivalry, by bidding each a Godspeed
and helping neither. As an evidence of this,
when the first fair had closed its gates after
a run of eleven days, $179,000 had been expended
in the purchase of grounds, erection
of buildings, cost of premiums, purses, etc.,
and $50,000 had been taken in from visitors;
the entire stock paid in covered less than
$27,000, and more than half of this amount
had been paid in by the directors themselves,
who, in addition to this, were carrying the
entire indebtedness of the association in their
own personal accounts. But the fair had
been a grand success and the entire city was
in smiles over its happy effects.
"' More than one hundred thousand visitors
had seen Dallas, and each had left behind
him a few dollars, aggregating, it was estimated,
more than five hundred thousand dollars
which had circulated in and through every
styleof business. None so humble that did not
receive a part, and none so grand as to ignore
its good effects. Congratulations seemed to
be the order of the day, and a general good
feeling was felt all over the city. The two
rival fairs were at once consolidated, the
charter of each being canceled and a new
company organized with increased capital
stock. The name selected was the Texas
$Stte Fair and Dallas Exposition, being a
consolidation of the names as well as the interests
of the former rivals. The following
named gentlemen, former directors of the two
rival associations, were chosen as directors of
the new: James Maroney, R. V. Tompkins,
T. L. Marsalis, W. H. Gaston, J. A. Hughes,
B. Blankenship, A. J. Porter, E. M. Reardon,
J. E. Schneider, F. M. Cockrell, Alexander
Sanger, C. A. Keating, A. B. Taber. James
Moroney was elected president, and Sydney
Smith was again elected secretary, with C. A.
Cour as assistant.
" Each of the rival grounds wvas offered for
sale to the new company, and over the entrance
gate of the one selected was inscribed "( The
Texas State Fair," locked in hands with "( The
Dallas Exposition," thereby publishing to the
world that all conflicting interests had been
blended in name as well as deed for the good
of the common cause. Immediate preparations
were set on foot for a grand entertainment.
" The grounds were increased by the purchase
of thirty acres additional ground and
the erection of such new buildings as were
necessary to accommodate the increased demands
"' The gates were thrown open October 20,
1887, and closed on November 5, following;
the result of which cannot be better told than
by quoting from the files of The Dallas
News of December of that year, giving in full
the secretary's annual report of that year,
which closed as follows: 'In conclusion I
beg to report that the total cost of your real
estate, $49,980, covers a body of land 120
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/251/: accessed March 20, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.