Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 298 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
"After a delay of thirty-two years the letter
is now given to the public without note or
comment. A SURVIVOR OF 1860."
Dallas is classed as one of the healthiest
cities in this country. The death rate here
during the last two years has been only one
and one-tenth per cent. The rate in the
Northern cities is much greater, and in Europe
the average annual death rate is two per
Dallas has never been visited with any
raging epidemics. While some serious cases
of epidemics have been in her borders, they
failed to excite any alarm or to spread the
disease. A hospital is provided for the sick,
and the services of a physician are also provided
free of charge. Any subjects thrown
upon the city receive prompt and efficient
attention. Dr. V. P. Armstrong is at present
the health officer.
The street railways of Dallas, amounting
to forty-six miles, are run chiefly by electricity,
affording thereby as delightful and
convenient accommodations in this respect as
can be found in any city. In addition to the
electric lines, a company of capitalists have
partly constructed, on one of the leading
business streets of the city, a cable railroad,
which when completed will be, it is said, the
only street cable railroad in the South.
DALLAS AS A FINANCIAL CENTER.
Dallas, being situated in the center of the
richest agricultural section of the State, and
surrounded as she is with numerous small
cities of from 4,000 to 10,000 population,
within twenty-five to sixty miles distance,
besides the thriving city of Fort Worth,
thirty miles west of her, and, being recognized
as the metropolis of the State in the
commercial world abroad, has become a city
of great financial importance. Her banking
facilities are equal to any city in the South.
The following are the names of the present
banks in the city, their organization, and late
statements concerning each, as well as the
officers of each:
The National Exchange Bank of Dallas
was organized under the State laws in 1875,
and was converted into a national bank in
1887. Its capital was then increased to
The present officers are: J. N. Simpson,
president; W. H. Gaston, 1st vice-president;
Royal A. Ferris, 2d vice-president; N. A.
McMillan, cashier; R. C. Ayers, assistant
cashier. Directors-J. N. Simpson, W. H.
Gaston, Royal A. Ferris, George N. Aldridge,
H. R.. Hearn, George W. Buster, N. A.
The following is a statement of the condition
of this bank, July 12, 1892:
NATIONAL EXCHANGE BANK.
Loans and discounts...............................$745,955 54
Overdrafts, secured and unsecured........... 12,498 05
U. S. bonds to secure circulation .............. 50,000 00
Stocks, securities, claims, etc ................... 63,247 94
Due from approved reserve agents....1........ 129,965 10
Due from other national banks ................. 109,200 59
Due from State banks and bankers........... 27,567 81
Banking-house, furniture and fixtures........ 33,728 50
Other real estate and mortgages owned...... 11,045 46
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/298/: accessed February 21, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.