Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 315 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
It soon became known, however, and the
number of applicants for admittance became
numerous. The founder, foreseeing the great
future for his noble work, effected a purchase
of'308 acres of land six miles east of the
city, out on a high plateau of prairie, convenient
however to a strip of the cross timbers.
To this place he moved the home,
where there is fresh air, play-grounds for the
children, and land for cultivation. The inmates
at the home now number 225, and
when the buildings will have all been completed
there will be accommodations for
Dr. Buckner, its founder, a true Christian
gentleman of high culture and noble character,
has been indefatigable in his efforts in
building up this institution, and deserves
much honor for so doing. Beloved by all
who know him, he, in his unassuming, humble
life, has gone on quietly doing his work
of good until he has caught the attention of
the public generally, and liberal contributions
are voluntarily made to aid him in promoting
the interest of this philanthropic institution.
While the president is a Baptist minister,
and the institution has a board of directors
consisting of Baptist ministers, still it is
undenominational in its teachings. The inmates
of this institution have the advantage
of being taught the common branches of
education by a well qualified corps of teachers
as well as being trained for practical business
life in various fields of labor. The property
now owned by this institution is valued at
the handsome sum of $40,000, and all accumulated
since 1880 by this admired philanthropist,
Dr. R. C. Buckner, who is still
manager and president.
ST. MARY'S INSTITUTE.
Situated about two miles northeast of the
city of Dallas, on a beautiful rolling prairie
hill, on a plat of twenty acres, is this young
but rather famous educational institution,
established in 1889, for the education of girls
and young ladies. It was established by the
Rt. Rev. Mr. Garrett, Bishop of the Northern
District of Texas, of the Protestant Episcopal
Church. While this school is under the
auspices of the Protestant Episcopal Church,
it is controlled by Bishop Garrett and the
following Board of Trust, viz.:
Hon. Richard Morgan, attorney at law,
Judge A. T. Watts, attorney at law, Dallas,
Hon. George Jackson, capitalist, Fort
Mr. E. H. Lingo, merchant, Denison,
Mr. J. T. Berry, merchant, Brookston,
Mr. F. W. Girand, district clerk, Graham,
The following is taken from the catalogue
"St. Mary's Institute is founded for the
education of Christian women. Its purpose
is to surround the children committed to its
care with the quiet and dignified influence
of a Christian home; to furnish their minds
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/315/: accessed September 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.