Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 316 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
with gentle grace; to strengthen their bodies
by the aid of regular hours, suitable exercise
and sufficient but simple food; and above
all, in humble dependence upon the Divine
blessing, to influence their hearts by the
holy teaching of Christianity as revealed in
Scripture and preserved in the church.
"Religion, equally removed from superstition
and bigotry, affords the healthy atmosphere
in which the best type of womanhood
is grown; this, St. Mary's is designed to
The building, five stories high, constructed
of fine stone, on its elevated situation, presents
a very striking and imposing appearance.
It was built with the design of accommodating
one hundred boarders, and is heated
by steam and lighted by electricity throughout.
The cost of erecting the building, and
including furniture, amounted to $100,000,
which was raised by Bishop Garrett in his
travels through the State of Texas and other
States, preaching, and presenting the necessity
of a first-class educational institution of
this character, to be conducted under the auspices
of the church. The ground, twenty
acres in extent, on which the building is
erected, was donated for the purpose of
founding this institution.
The patronage of this college has been
equal to the expectations of all concerned,
and the city with pride refers to it as one of
the best schools for young ladies in the State.
The following is the present faculty: The
Rt. Rev. the Bishop of Northern Texas,
Principal and Rector. Academic Department
-Miss Maria K. Torbert, head of the house,
history and literature; Miss Eleanor Tebbetts,
ancient languages, advanced mathematics,
logic and ethics; Miss Ellen E. Creswell,
English letters, rhetoric and composition;
Miss Theresa Gertrude Williamson, natural
science; Miss Minna Kupper, modern languages;
Miss Sarah Cameron, elocution, composition
and calisthenics. Preparatory Department-Miss
Ersula Fitzpatrick, study
hall, history and English classics; Miss Frances
Kallam, English branches and elementary
science. Primary Department-Miss Edith
Hughesdon. School of Music, Instrumental
-Miss Margaret Ida Bayer, principal; Miss
Anna Margaret Kreutter, assistant; Professor
Hans Kreissig, pianist. School of Music,
Vocal-Miss Minnie Royall, vocal culture
and tone production. School of Art-Miss
Rachel Taylor; librarian, Miss
housekeeper, Mrs. Charlotte S. Cowles; infirmary,
Mrs. Mary Frink; physician, Lawrence
Ashton, M. D.
TEXAS COLLEGE OF PHARMACY.
This institution was chartered in 1892,
with L. Myers Connor, W. F. Shook, C. N.
Clauber, J. L. Williams, J. A. Rippitoe and
R. Cotter,-all druggists of Dallas, as directors.
It was instituted and chartered through
the efforts of L. Myers Connor, an able and
distinguished chemist who always takes
great interest in pharmacy or any enterprise
that tends toward the advancement of this
science in Texas, where he has lived since
childhood. He organized the first pharma
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/316/: accessed June 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.