Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 318 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS OOUNTY.
tions of the State, and in the Indian Territory
and adjoining States and Territories.
While this is its chief territory it also has an
extensive circulation in all the Southern
The enterprise exhibited by this live newspaper
company is shown by their two special
newspaper trains in north Texas and one in
south Texas, sent out especially to deliver
the News from Dallas and Galveston every
morning, leaving about four o'clock over the
principal lines of railroads, reaching to the
most populous sections of the State.
These early trains are run with such regularity
and with such rapid speed that all the
towns within sixty and 100 miles distance
from Dallas receives the News on the morning
of publication before breakfast.
These two divisions-Galveston News and
Dallas News, are so connected by special
telegraph wires leased and operated exclusively
by this company that a perfect and
smooth interchange of news is effected. The
Galveston News with its special train thus
delivers its publication over southern Texas
while the Dallas News covers northern
The officers of this enterprising company
are: A. H. Belo, president, who shows great
ability in selecting men; R. G. Lowe, vicepresident;
and Thomas W. Dealey, secretary.
F. Dorernus is managing editor of the Dallas
News; and a more able, gifted and talented
gentleman for this position could not be found.
It is largely owing to this brilliant young
gentleman's superior ability as the managing
editor that the Dallas News now holds her
reputation as one of the greatest newspapers
G. B. Dealy, the business manager, is also
a very superior and thorough man in his
position and the two work together as a complete
THE DAILY TIMES-HERALD.
This is an evening daily established and
published by the Times Publishing Company,
a corporation with $20,000 capital. C. E.
Gilbert, its president and secretary, is most
certainly a gentleman of talent as a newspaper
journalist. He has built up in this
paper one of the most substantial and newsy
evening papers in the Southwest.
It is a consolidation of two newspapers, as
its name indicates,-of the Timres and the
Herald. The Times was started in 1875, and
edited and controlled for a long time by Captain
W. G. Sterrett. Mr. Gilbert bought out
Captain Sterrett and his associates, and under
his control and editorship this evening daily
has become one of the most eagerly sought
after of all papers of the kind in the South. Its
circulation is remarkably large for an evening
paper. It is but right to state its present
popularity is also due to ability and talent
displayed by Mr. Gilbert's splendid corps of
assistants especially to the facetious writer
Mr. Hugh Fitzgerald, and his talented wife,
who is the society editor. They have labored
untiringly and with pride, with the proprietor,
to build up this paper, and have certainly
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/318/: accessed May 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.