Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 323 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
having completed the full course of studies
and receiving diplomas, were Frank Blankenship,
R. King Cole, Ernest House, Ellen
Thurston. Those completing the English
course and receiving certificates were Howard
Ardrey and Thomas Lucas.
The E. M. Kahn medal for the best student
in school as shown by attendance, conduct and
studies, was awarded to Scott Miller.
The Mrs. Warren medal for second best
student was awarded to Frank Blankenship
and Thomas Lucas,-a tie.
The Dr. S. D. Thruston medal for the best
girl student was awarded to Eugenia Chappell.
The C. F. Carter medal for the best student
of those who did not exceed fifty on the first
roll of honor last year was awarded to Neita
Churches and schools always speak much
praise for any city. The whites and colored
people of Dallas have church buildings in
the city at which they assemble to worship
The First Methodist Episcopal Church,
South, was organized in Dallas in 1850, by
Rev. Andrew Cumming, with eleven members,
when Dallas had a population of about
200. The members worshipped in a little
house which was also used by other denomninations,
changing around, one denomination
using it one Sunday, another the next, and
so on. The first Methodist preacher, however,
that lived in the little town of Dallas
was a local preacher, Rev. James A. Smith,
a farmer, who baptized the first Methodist
child in I)allas county,-Astor Pryor, who
now lives in the county.
This little church, of eleven nelnbers in
1850, has kept pace with tie rapid growtll of
the city, and to-day it has a nmenbersllip of
600 and a most handsome edifice on Comnmnerce
street. Rev. J. O. Jones, present pastor;
membership of the Sunday-sclool, 250.
In addition to the First Church, the Methodists
also have the following churches, whicll
were established principally through the First
Church, and each has a most handsome church
The Floyd Street lJfethodist Chtur1e,
South, was organized by R. M. Powell ill
1874, with thirty members. It now lias a
membership of about 400; number of inembers
of Sunday-school, 150. Tile present
pastor is R. S. Riggan. It is situated on
Floyd street, near the Union depot.
The South Dallas Methodlist Eliscopal
Church, South, situated at the corner of
Snodgrass and Cigar streets, was organized
in 1888 by Rev. W. H. Lughts, with about
twenty members; now has a membership of
300. Rev. W. F. Clark is now the pastor.
Number of members of Sunday-school, 150.
East Dallas Methodist Episcopal Church,
South, located near the Fair grounds, was organized
by Rev. J. W. Blackburn in 1889,
with about twenty members. It has a membership
at present of 120, and a Sundayschool
with a mnemrership of 100. Its present
pastor is Rev. Lee A. Hanson.
Trinity Mfethodist Episcopal Church,
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/323/: accessed June 25, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.