Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 325 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
SO? OF DU
has always been a man of influence. He is
a man of character, eloquence, scholarship
and ability, and !.as done much good for his
Catholic Churches.-Early in the '70s,
Father Perry established the first church of
this faith in the city of Dallas. Heretofore
the members that had been banded together
collected at different residences from time to
time, and kept up devotional services. But
as soon as the membership could afford any
means for the erection of a building for worship,
the one now situated on the corner of
Bryan and Ervay streets was built, and has
been used up to this day as a place of worship.
A magnificent cathedral will be built
soon on this corner, to cost $100,000, and
which, it is said, when completed, will be
one of the finest erected in the South.
Father Hennessey, now of Houston, Texas,
succeeded Father Perry and remained in service
as priest for two years. Then came
Father Martiniere, now chaplain at the TTrsuline
Academy in East Dallas. He remained
in charge until 1889, at which time
he was succeeded by Father Joseph Blum,
now at Munster, Cooke county, Texas.
Bishop Thomas F. Brennan was appointed
bishop of Dallas, .with a territory of
108 counties in northern and northwestern
Texas, in December, 1890. He was consecrated
bishop at Erie, Pennsylvania, April 5,
1891, and immediately came to Dallas to
take charge of his diocese, and when he came
he assumed the rectorship of the Church of
the Sacred Heart, and transferred Rev. Father
Blum to Munster, Cooke county. Since that
time the bishop has been indefatigable in his
labors, and is much beloved by his church
and all who know him.
St. Patrick's is another Catholic Church,
located in the city, at the corner of South
Harwood and Eakin streets, and under the
charge of Father J. A. H-artnett, assisted by
Father P.M. Reagan. These churches lavc
a very large attendance. About 5,000 souls
commune at these two.
In addition to these churches the Cathlolics
have the Oak Cliff Orphanage, which institution
was founded in 1891 by Bishop Brennan.
The building cost $5,000, and has a
very beautiful and imposing appearance. It
is situated on a lofty place in this high, cool
and healthy addition to the city of Dallas.
The plat comprises eight acres of very valuable
land, and was donated byT. L. iMarsalis,
the originator and former owner of Oak Cliff.
Episcopal Church? Organizations. -The
leading church of this denomination is the
St. Matthews. It is located on Ervay street.
The congregation was organized in 1868, by
Rev. S. D. Davenport, who held the rectorship
The following rectors have had charge of
this Church, and succeeded respectively as
their names appear, viz.: Rev. Stephen A.
Greene, Rev. Jno. Davis, Rev. Win. Munford,
Rev. C. W. Turner, Rev. W. B. Guion,
Rev. A. C. Garrett. There are at present
The Church of the Incarnation is an another
organization of this denomination. It
is located at the corner of Harwood street and
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/325/: accessed March 29, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.