Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 326 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS GOUNTY.
McKennie avenue; and the society was organized
in 1884. Rev. Edwin Wickens is the
Dallas being in Bishop A. C. Garrett's
diocese, these churches are under his supervision.
They are popular churches and very
prosperous. Bishop Garrett resides in Dallas
and occasionally preaches to the congregation,
and, being very eloquent, attracts
First Presbyterian Church, situated corner
Main and Harwood streets. The congregation
was organized by Rev. S. A. King
of Waco, Texas, in 1873. Dr. A. P. Smith,
the present pastor, was elected to the position
in 1873, and has remained in that relation
ever since. Beginning with but few members,
this church has increased constantly
under the pastorship of Dr. Smith until its
present membership mumbers 400.
There are three colonies established under
this church, namely: the City Park Presbyterian
Church, Oak Cliff Presbyterian Church,
Westminster Presbyterian Church. These
three churches are under the supervision of
Dr. Smith and are prospering. In addition
to these there is a colored Presbyterian
Church in the city, also under the supervision
of Dr. Smith.
Dr. A. P. Smith is an able and eloquent
preacher and has been here longer than any
other preacher in the city. He is very popular
and always has large audiences. His
churches have always flourished.
The Congregational Church of Dallas
was organized December 27, 1875, by Rev.
H. M. Daniel. pastor, with the following
membership: Seth Lathrop, E. M. Stokes,
C. W. Parker, L. H. Page, Geo. S. Webber,
Harvey Page, Geo. W. Jones, Chas. N.
Mason, Mrs. F. B. Daniel, Mrs. Ella Lathrop,
Mrs. Janes Stokes, Mrs. Ella K.
Parker, Miss Kittie Gray, Miss Ida Stokes,
Mrs. Geo. S. Webber, Mrs. C. E. Page, Miss.
The church labored under many disadvantages
for several years, but constantly increased
in membership. While the members
went from place to place to worship in the
beginning of their career, they soon found
themselves able to erect a modest church
building. In this they worshiped for some
time. The membership of this church now
numbers about 400, and they have one of the
handsomest church buildings in the city,
located at the corner of Harwood and Bryan
streets, and costing, with the lot. $30,000.
Rev. Mr. McCune succeeded the organizer,
Rev. Mr. Daniel, and Rev. C. I. Scofield,
who is the present pastor, succeeded Rev.
McCune. Dr. Scofield has been pastor now
for about nine years, and is one of the most
popular and eloquent divines in the city.
The present deacons of the church are:. H.
Page, Theodore Mosier, E. M. Powell, Will
Nason, William Kirkland, -
Reese. This denomination has establised
two missions in east Dallas and a church for
the colored people in the city.
Baptist Church.-July 30, 1868, a presbytery
consisting of the following ordained
Baptist ministers,, met in Dallas for the pur-
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/326/?rotate=90: accessed May 24, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.