Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 327 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
OF DALLAS COUNTY.
pose of organizing a Baptist Church, namely:
Rev. W. W. Harris, Rev. J. F. Pinson, W.
B. Long and W. J. Bowen. They effected
an organization with the following members:
E. G. Mays, W. L. Williams, 'John Hanna,
L. B. Williams, M. L. Bowen, C. E. Mays,
A. C. Mays, N. E. Collins, Martha Seegar,
S. C. Akard and M. E. Kerfoot, and named
it "The First Baptist Church of Dallas."
The growth of this church has been most
wonderful. It has at present a membership
of about 700 and one of the handsomest and
most costly church buildings in the State,
costing $100,000; location on Pattison
avenue and North Ervay street. The following
pastors have served this church since it
was first established, viz.:
Rev. W. W. Harris, elected August 22, 1868
" C. A. Stanton, " October 1, 1871
A. Weaver, financial agent for the
church, elected May 9, 1872. After
serving in this capacity was elected
pastor, assisted .by Rev. G. T. Wilburn.
Rev. G. W. Rogers, elected January 23, 1876
" J. H. Carry, "
R. T. Hanks, , " 1, 1883
" A. M. Sims, -
On the 30th day of June, 1892, Rev. A.
M. Sims retired from the pastorate, so the
church is at present without a pastor. One,
however, will be elected at an early date.
The following are the present deacons:
W. L. Williams, S. L. May, W. R. Howell,
J. L. Williams, E. P. Marshal, E. T. Lewis,
J. F. Warren.
Ingram, pastor), situated on Corinth street,
was organized in 1889, by Rev. R. T. Iflanks,
pastor First Church, and W. L. Williamns,
one of the deacons.
Washington Avenue Chur'ch (Rev. Tlhomnas
S. Potts, pastor), was organized in 1888,
with 30 members, by Rev. S. J. Anderson,
missionary, under the auspicies of the First
Baptist Church. It has now a very large
membership, and is il very flourishing condition.
Lake Avenue C/hur'ch was organized ill
1891. Present pastor, Rev. Mr. Millican.
Christian Churches.-In 1846 Elder
Thacker B. Griffin organized the first "Chrllistian"
Church in Dallas county, and in 1852
Dr. B. F. Hall organized the first "Christian"l
Church in the city of Dallas.
This First Christian ChurchA of Dallas lhas
grown very rapidly here in the city and has
erected a large and handsome edifice at the
corner of Bryan and Pearl streets. They
have no regular pastor at present. In this
interval, while the church is seeking a pastor,
General R. M. Gano, an eloquent and influential
preacher in the city, who has retired
from the active service, preaches occasionally.
O The Central Christian Church, organized
in 1875, is the largest church of this denomination
in the city. Elder M. AM. Davis, an
able and eloquent preacher, is pastor. It
has one of the finest church buildings in Dallas,
costing $65,000; membership, 600. It
is situated at the corner of Patterson avenue
The Second Baptist Church (Rev. A. B.
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/327/: accessed August 18, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.