Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 328 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
This beautiful residence city is situated
southwest of the city of Dallas, beyond the
Trinity river, about three quarters of a mile
fron the courthouse square, on an. elevated
plateau over looking the city and surrounding
country. Its superior elevation presents to
the vision most charming and varied scenes
of beauty over the sweeping prairies, and the
cross timbers that cluster on the banks of the
Trinity, and to the inhabitants the coolest
and most desirable dwelling places in all
Texas. The cool breezes are continually
wafted from the bosom of the Gulf over the
rolling prairies, making the days and nights
in the most heated seasons cool and delightful
and Oak Cliff a place greatly sought
Tile founding of this city was in 1887, by
the enterprising and gifted T. L. ]Marsalis, a
a much admired, wealthy business man, who
for some time was an extensive wholesale
grocerymlan of Dallas. Discerning far the
future of Dallas, and seeing her rapidly attaining
the proportions of a great city, this
gentleman bought here, at a cost of half a
million dollars, 2,000 acres of land so propitiously
located, especially for residences, and
had it in a large measure platted, streets laid
out and paved with elegant sidewalks. It
now, in this short time, since 1887, possesses
a population of 7,000, and most attractive
residences, some costing $50,000. Some of
the most prominent and wealthy men of the
city and State have moved here and have
A railroad costing $400,000 sweeps
around from the city of Dallas through Oak
Cliff, returning to Dallas almost in a circle,
every few minutes, thereby affording most
ample and happy accommodations to the
public. This is the only railroad in the South
operated on the same plan as the New York
elevated railroad. Many manufacturing establishments
of various kinds are located here.
Among the number is E. G. Patton also several business houses
to supply the demands of the inhabitants.
There is also an electric light plant, costing
$25,000, and waterworks costing $50,000,
operated here for the benefit of the population
of this city.
All religious denominations have places of
worship here. Some of them have erected
elegant churches. There are the very best
educational advantages offered the public. A
$30,000 public-school building is now being
erected. Besides the several private schools,
a female institution of learning, called the
Oak Cliff Female College, will open a most
lovely and attractive, as well as commodious,
building, in the coming fall season, with a
large number of students already enlisted under
the efficient management of Prof. M.
Thomas Edgerton, president, a distinguished
educator from Tennessee, and lately president
of the Waco (Texas) Female College.
The handsome building in which this college
will open cost $100,000. The Catholic de-
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/328/: accessed April 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.