Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 329 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
nomination has an orphans' home in an attractive
There are beautiful and charming lawns,
drives, parks and lakes skirting this city,
making as has been very appropriately said,
"Oak Cliff to Dallas what Brooklyn is to
New York." As a means of pleasureasummer
theater is located in one of the large
parks, at which summer opera companies
and amateur plays entertain the public.
In 1890 this city was incorporated by a
special act of the legislature and made a separate
government within itself, The following
are the present officers: F. N. Oliver,
mayor; W. F. Daugherty, secretary; W. H.
H. Smith, marshal; C. R. Buddy, treasurer.
Aldermen: J. W. Roach, J. L. Means, W.
D. Henderson, R. P. Toole, Clinton Jack.
OAK CLIFF COLLEGE FOR YOUNG LADIES.
Among the many enterprises that will add
so much to the prosperity of this beautiful
little city is the Oak Cliff College for
A hotel, costing upwards of $100,000 was
constructed two years ago, and was designed
to accommodate both summer and winter
visitors, and it is easily heated by steam and
and thoroughly comfortable in winter and
airy and well ventilated in the summer. It
is four stories high. In the matter of appointments
and furnishings, it is unsurpassed
by any other in the State. This magnificent
building, with its entire equipments, have
been leased for a term of years by a corporation,
the Oak Cliff College for Young Ladies,
with M. Thos. Edgerton, president; S.
H. Landrum, secretary; A. G. Rteichart,
treasurer; and the first floor of this hotel lias
been re-arranged and furnished elegantly for
a chapel, recitation rooms, music, art and elocution
schools, while the three upper floors
are left unchanged for the young ladies of
the boarding department.
The Oak Cliff College, into which this
hotel will be converted September 7th, is
chartered exclusively for the graduation and
accomplishment of young ladies, and is destined
to be the leading college in tile South.
The leading and salient features of this college
are its high standard of excellence expected
to be attained and the non-sectarian
character of its religious influence. In tlese
respects it will occupy a vacant field in
Southern education, and take the leading
place among the colleges for young women
in the educational system of Texas.
The Oak Cliff College is not designed to
be local or sectional or sectarian. It is established
not for Dallas alone, but for Texas
and the South; not for denomination or sect,
but for society and God. The institution is
chartered with full powers from tile State to
confer degrees, award diplomas and certificates.
So sure is the writer that this will be one
of the permanent institutions of Dallas
county, and that in after years coming generations
will be glad to read the names of the
teachers from whom their mothers received
their education, we give its first faculty:
General Officers: M. Thomas Edgerton,
president; S. EL. Landrum, secretary and A.
G. Reichert, treasurer.
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/329/: accessed January 19, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.