Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 332 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTYthis
college on September 7th with at least
250 young ladies of Oak Cliff, Dallas, and
other parts of Texas. This is only the commencement
of an era of educational institutions
at Oak Cliff, -which is Dallas, one and
This magnificent building, sitting as it
does like the eagle of forethought on its
prairie apex, kissed by the healthful breezes
in their grand ascent from the sea, dedicated
to-night by the providence of God and the
wisdom and co-operation of the people, is
complete in all its appointments for a great
college for young ladies provided with a
faculty under Prof. Edgerton, equal to any
in our country. And the people of Texas
may feel assured that this will be a college
for the education of their daughters in fact
as well as in name.
From the mind and heart of this splendid
faculty both pupil and patron will learn that,
These struggling tides of life that seem
In tireless onward course to tend,
Are eddies of the mighty stream
That rolls to its appointed end.
Now, with the earnest co-operation of us
all, the twin cities at the head of navigation
of the Trinity will march forward in their
grandeur, the counterpart of Boston and
Cambridge, the greatest commercial, financial
and manufacturing center and seat of learning
of the Southwest.
Oak Cliff Methodist Episcopal Church,
South, called St. Paul's, was organized in
1888 by Rev. C. G. Shutt, with a membership
of twenty-five or thirty. Present
pastor, Rev. Mr. Armstrong. Membership,
350. Sunday-school membership
SOCIETIES AT OAK CLIFF.
Altar Society of St. Patrick's Church, organized
1889. Membership thirty-one.
Catholic Ladies' Aid Society, for the benefit
of the poor, organized 1890. Membership
Children's Meeting of Central Christian
Church, organized 1888. Membership
Earnest Workers' Oak Cliff Presbyterian
Church, organized May, 1891. Membership
Home Mission and Church Extension Society
of the Methodist Episcopal Church
of Dallas, Texas; chartered December
Ladies' Missionary Society of the First Baptist
Church. Reorganized 1884. Membership
Ladies' Benevolent Society of the First Baptist
Church. Organized 1884. Membership
Ladies' Aid Society of Oak Cliff Church.
Organized December, 1890. Membership
Ladies' Aid Society of Washington Avenue
Baptist Church. Organized 1884. Membership
Ladies' Missionary Society of the Central
Christian Church. Organized 1887.
Ladies' Aid Society of the Church of the In-
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/332/: accessed June 22, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.