Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 337 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
coming somewhat noted for her educational.
facilities. Alltthe religious denominations
are represented, though there are only two
church buildings in the town proper,-the
Christian and the Baptist,-the other denominations
using the college hall in which to
hold their services. The Baptist and Methodist
denominations each had established
churches here long before the town of Garland
was thought of, not in the town, nor
where the town now is, but near it, on Duck
creek; and a little farther down the creek was
the " Christian," or, as it is sometimes called
the "Campbellite," Church. Since the
building of the town, the Baptists and Christians
have each built a church in town, and
the Methodists have purchased a lot preparatory
to building, as have also the Cumberland
Presbyterians. The pastors of the
different denominations for this year (1892)
are: Baptist, Rev.J. A. Moore; Methodist,
Rev. J. M. McKee; Cumberland Presbyterian,
Rev. L. A. Dunlap; Christian, Rev. C. L.
This little town also has its share of secret
societies. The Masons and Odd Fellows
have each a hall, and the lodges are known as
Duck Creek Lodge, No. 441, A. F. Crossman
Brothers, grocers; Brown Mark Elliston Beaver, Scott William Brothers,
undertakers and furniture dealers; Clark C. C. Bradley, hardware
and farming implements; Sam C. Hall, druggist;
Pacific Drug Store, Dr. R. E. Summers,
proprietor; W. T. Jackson, liquors and cigars;
J. T. Newshaw, blacksmith and carriage
Barber Shop, H. L. Erwin, proprietor; Bird
Cage Barber Shop, John C. Green, proprietor.
Aside from those mentioned are several others
which the writer does not now recall. Among
the professional men of the town are: T. F.
Nash, attorney at law; R. E. Sumners, K. I-.
Embree, J. V. Ryon, T. S. Walker, J. D.
Jackson and E. H. Ayres, physicians. Tile
Garland News, the'only newspaper published
in Garland, is issued weekly by John H.
Cullom, its founder, who began publishing it
there about five years ago.
All in all, Garland is one of the most
thriving and energetic country towns in the
county, and is surrounded by one of the
richest sections of country in the State.
There is a thriving little town of 600 population,
situated on the high prairie twelve
miles east of Dallas City on the Texas
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/337/: accessed May 25, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.