Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 338 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
tering farms were in the country at that time;
now the surrounding country is a perfect mat
of farms, so to speak.
No town in the county possesses more enterprising
citizens according to her population
than Mesquite. She has at present the
following business houses:
Knox and Kimbrough, general merchandise.
E. P. and J. P. Paschall, general merchandise.
G. M. Gross, druggist.
G. B. Gross, druggist.
J. D. Wesson, groceries.
J. C. Rugel, hardware and farm implements.
George W. Quinn, blacksmithing.
M. C. Brownfield, blacksmithing.
J. H. Casey, saloon.
J. F. Lynch, saloon.
G. H. Brown, saddlery and harness.
F. M. Moore, hotel and livery stable.
H. W. Bounds, photographer.
J. M. Ebrite, postmaster and dealer in
Ebrite edited by the talented Hon. R.
S. Kimbrough, the present State senator from
this district. It is wide-awake, enterprising
and aggressive. In fact, it could not be
otherwise, being edited by the bold and fearless
This paper was established by Mr. Kimbrough,
in 1882, and has a very extensive
circulation not only in Dallas county, but also
in other counties.
Besides Mr. Kimbrough, there is another
citizen living at Mesquite who is well known
for his ability in the legislative halls of
Texas,-Hon. J. C. Rugel. This gentleman
served a term in the State Legislature and
had a career of honor.
Four denonimations worship regularly
here, and each has a creditable church building,
viz.: The Baptist, Rev. Thomas Pinson,
pastor; the Methodist, J. B. Adair, pastor;
the Presbyterian, A. F. Stone, pastor; the
In addition to the church organizations
there are the secret orders, which add much
to the interest of the town, named: Science
Lodge, No. 295, A. F. J. C. Rugel, secretary. Mesquite
Lodge, No. 2,996, K. of H., G. B.
Gross, dictator; J. C. Rugel, reporter.
The physicians are Drs. D. A. Paschall,
O'Callaghan and W. C. Cullom.
Tlhe school at this place is the pride of the
citizens. A commodious house is furnished,
and able teachers are always employed. It
is conducted about six months in each year.
There are two cotton gins in the comnmunity
near the town, and each gin annually
from 2,500 to 3,500 bales of cotton. This
little town marketed last year 4,114 bales of
cotton. It is also a first-class shipping
place for small grain and cattle.
The town was incorporated in 1887, and
the present city officers are: J. E. Russell,
mayor; W. H. Parker, marshal. AldermenT.
L. Paschall, R. S. Kimbrough, J. C. Rugel,
G. D. Gross, J. D. Brunner. The following
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/338/: accessed August 18, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.