Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 346 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
latter being now Mrs. Cowden of Dallas.
Mr. Garrison was a member of the City
Council from the Third Ward one term and
was president of the Board of Water Commissioners.
He served as Postmaster and
Disbursing Agent under President Arthur.
He is now president of the Expressmen's Investment
Company of Dallas, which was organized
in 1888 under the laws of the State of
Texas. He is a thirty-second-degree Scottish
Rite Mason, a charter member of the Ancient
and Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic
Shrine, a member of the K. of P., and also
of the A. O. U. W., Boone Lodge, of
Boone county, Missouri and belonged to St.
Louis Lodge, No. 5, of the I. O. O. F. He
is a member of the Benevolent and Protective
Order of Elks and is one of the original
members of the Dallas Club.
HARLES B. GILLESPIE, who for
1% many years was connected with the political
history of Dallas county, is the
subject of the following brief biography. He
was born in the State of Arkansas, in December,
1854, and is a son of Constantine C.
Gillespie, a native of Alabama. The mother's
maiden name was Haynes, and she was
from Tennessee. They emigrated to Arkansas
early in the '40s, where the father practiced
medicine until his removal to Dallas in
1867, and lived there until his death in 1887.
He was a man of rare intelligence and fine
mental attainments, honored and respected
by all who knew him. Charles B. attended
the common schools, where his advantages
were very limited; by close application, however,
he acquired a fund of information that
enabled him to take a position in the office of
the County Treasurer in September, 1875.
He remained there one year under M. V.
Cole, winning a -reputation for promptness
and fidelity to duty that he has retained
through a long official career. In September,
1876, he was made Deputy Tax Collector
under Captain Prather, and served continuously
until 1882. In November of that year
he was elected to the office of Tax Collector,
and was three times re-elected, serving in all
eight years. He was a courteous and obliging
officer, and reflected great credit upon
his constituency. In addition to the duties
of this office he has collected data. upon the
natural resources of Dallas county, which are
of unquestionable reliabilityy.
Upon retiring from the office of Tax Collector,
Mr. Gillespie formed a partnership
with Mr. Cullum in the real-estate business;
into this enterprise he has carried the same
methodical habits which characterized the
work in the Collector's office, and has the
most accurate and carefully prepared maps of
Dallas county that have yet been made.
In 1882 our subject was married to Miss
Emma Cullum, a native of Tennessee, but
since her childhood a resident of Texas. Two
daughters and a son have been born to them.
Mr. Gillespie is a member of the Knights of
Pythias, in which fraternity he has held numerous
official positions. He is a consistent
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Politically he is a stalwart Democrat. He
is a man of the highest honor, and a citizen
of whom Dallas county may well be proud.
d E. GUILLOT has been engaged in the
real-estate and brokerage business in
[ [ the city of Dallas, Texas, since 1889,
and although this is a comparatively short
time, yet his knowledge of real estate is un-
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/346/: accessed June 26, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.