Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 348 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
member of the School Board. He has seen
the substantial growth and development of
the city of Dallas from a population of 1,500
to about 50,000, and has always taken an
active interest in everything for the good of
the city and county.
He was married in this city, in 1879, to
Miss Hattie Rice, a native of Dallas county,
and a daughter of Dr. Anderson and Zeriah
Rice, natives of Kentucky. The father was
a prominent physician of Dallas in the early
days, and his death occurred in this city
many years ago. Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton
have had four children,-Claude, Charley,
Graham and Henry.
OHN HERMAN, one of the early settlers
of Dallas county, was born in Baden,
Germany, in 1836, a son of August
and Elizabeth (Bauman) Herman, also natives
of Baden. The mother died in her native
country in 1848, and the father in 1850.
John was left an orphan at the age of twelve
or fourteen years, and was educated in the
schools of Germany, where he also served an
apprenticeship at the blacksmith's trade.
When twenty years of age he left his native
country, sailing from Havre, France, to New
York, and was thirty-five days en route. He
went directly to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he
worked several months, thence to St. Louis,
Missouri, where he worked at his trade, and
where, June 24, 1861, he enlisted in company
G, Second Missouri Infantry, for three
years. He was mustered into service at St.
Louis, and was engaged in the battle of Pea
Ridge, Arkansas, Perryville, Kentucky, Stone
River, Tennessee, Chickamauga, and Missionary
Ridge. He then went to Dalton,
Georgia, but afterward returned to St. Louis,
where he was honorably discharged September
29, 1864. He engaged at-his trade in
that city, but subsequently went to Kansas
City, thence to Parkville, Missouri, and next to
Cherokee Nation. In the fall of 1872 he came
to Lancaster, Dallas county, and in the spring
of 1873 to Dallas city, where he worked at
his trade. In 1874 he was in the employ of
the stage company, and about 1876 he-engaged
at farm work; was next in the cities of
Galveston, Houston and Austin, and in the
latter city he was engaged in chopping wood,
and later worked in a foundry. He saved
$90 while in that city, with which he came
to Dallas and erected a shop on Jackson and
Lamar streets, and three years later he bought
a lot on Commercial street. After another
three years he sold this lot, and later bought
another and erected his present shop. In
1888 Mr. Herman erected a two-story brick,
75x70 feet, which he rented, and he now
has three good store buildings.
Socially, he is a member of George H,
Thomas Post, No. 6, G. A. R., and of Queen
City Lodge, No. 941, K. of H. He takes
an active interest in politics, voting with the
Republican party, and is also interested in
in everything for the good of his city or
county. In 1883 Mr. Herman made a trip
to his old home in Baden, Germany, but returned
to Dallas county after an absence of
NELSON, 'architect and building contractor,
came to Dallas in June, 1873,
engaging at once in his present business.
Since then he has had as many as
twenty-five buildings in progress at one time.
Among the more prominent buildings he
has erected are the North Texas National
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/348/: accessed October 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.