Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 361 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
county, at Mesquite. He has had an extensive
and successful practice, and here he is regarded
not only as a skillful physician but as
oneof the most prominent and leading citizens.
He discovered a cure for malignant congested
fever or spotted fever, and in the treatment
of that dread disease has met with unusual
He and his wife are members of the Christian
Church, and he is a Mason and a Knight
8ENJAMIN T. DAVIS, a farmer of
Dallas county, was born in Monongalia
county, Virginia, September 17,
1828. His father moved to La Porte county,
Indiana, in 1835, and to Texas in 1847, when
Benjamin was but nineteen years of age.
The latter learned the carpenter's trade in
Indiana, which he also followed in Texas. At
one time he took a claim of 320 acres of
land, which he improved and cultivated, and
at the same time also worked at his trade. He
afterward sold this farm, and bought the one
on which he now resides. He then owned
500 acres, but this he afterward divided
and gave all but 288 acres to his children.
Mr. Davis enlisted in the war in 1861, in
Colonel Hawpe's regiment, and served until
the close of the war, being discharged at
Hempstead May 26, 1865. Being a musician,
he was put in charge of the field band, and
held that position until the close of the war.
He also participated in the battles of Spring
River, Mansfield, Yellow Stone, Utona, and
was under fire forty-two days in going to
New Orleans. He was slightly wounded three
times with shell. Mr. Davis saw the war
was coming to a close, and wisely exchanged
his Confederate script for greenbacks, and
after reaching home had over $200 in greenbacks.
Hfe had lost all his horses and cattle
in the war, but had enough money to corn
mence anew. His brother and himself, Jolhn
W., engaged in the hedge seed business, in
which le was very successful, selling the seed
as high as $21 per bushel.
Mr. Davis was married July 4, 1836, to
Miss Lydia J. Mills, who died October 14,
1890, at the age of fifty-four years. They
were the parents of thirteen children, only ten
of whom reached maturity, viz.: Eugenus A.;
Ruth Anni, wife of Joseph E. Erwin; Benjamin
T.; Tiddy J., wife of E. M. Colwell;
Sarah A., wife of H. r. Ramsey; John W.,
Mariah E., wife of Thomnas Lanford; I-anson
C., Cora L. and Caleb B. Mr. Davis is a
well educated man, having attended some of
the best schools in Indiana. He attended the
Asbury University, now the De Pauw University,
two years, which is one of the leading
schools in the-United States. Ile is a meinber
of the I. O. O. F., Piano Lodge, No. 114,
and at one time was a member of the Methodist
Episcopal Church, of which his family
are nearly all members.
EORGE H. SHIAWVER is a native of
Macon county, Missouri, born December
28, 1848. John Shawver, his father,
was born in Monroe county, Virginia,
November 20, 1800, and was married in the
Old Dominion to Miss Caroline Walker.
They moved from Missouri to Texas in 1869,
and the father bought 255 acres of land near
Mesquite, where his son George H. now
lives. He improved his property and resided
on it a number of years. He returned to
Missouri on a visit, and while there was
taken sick and died, his death occurring in
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/361/: accessed December 17, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.