Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 362 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COU.TY.
July, 1880. His wife departed this life
March 12, 1872, at the age of forty-five
years. To them were born ten children. The
names of each and a more extended mention
of the family will be found in the biography
of M. T. Shawver, in this volume.
George H. Shawver was married, May 16,
1889, to Miss Dora A. Smith, who was born
ill Indiana, March 4. 1865. Her father,
Abraham Smith, was born in Indiana in 1825,
and her mother, who before her marriage was
a Miss Greene, was born in 1832. The names
of the children composing her father's
family are as follows: Sella, wife of Seymour
Hosa; Marshall; Alice, wife of JohnRockey;
Ellet; Dora, wife of George H. Shawver;
Lawrence; Elmer, and Gordon. Mr. Smith
came to Texas in 1888 and settled near Mesquite,
Dallas county. Mr. and Mrs. Shawver
have two children: Otto, born July 29, 1890;
Anna, born December 30, 1891.
Mr. Shawver is a Mason and a Knight of
Honor, belonging to the lodges at Mesquite.
le and his wife are members of the Methodist
ILLIAM STULTS, M. D., deceased,
was for many years a physician
widely and favorably known among
the citizens of the western part of Dallas
county. He was born in Hamilton county,
Tennessee, and, having been left an orphan,
received only a meager education. He was
an industrious and self-reliant boy, and made
his own way from the beginning of his
career. At the age of seventeen years he
went to St. Louis, Missouri, where he apprenticed
himself to the carpenter's trade, and followed
the same for about two years. He then
returned to Tennessee, settling in Rutherford
county, where he read medicine for two years,
mostly under Dr. J. W. January, a successful
physician of that day. Mr. Stults came to
Texas on a prospecting tour in 1856, and
decided to locate in Dallas county, December
3, 1857. He returned to Tennessee and
married Miss Lou S. Wilson, of Gibson
county, after which he came again
taking up his residence in the western part
of the county, on a farm of 320 acres, lying
on the west fork of Trinity river. He at
once began farming and the practice of his
profession, and followed these occupations
assiduously as long as he lived. He sold his
first purchase in 1860, and bought a place
on Grapevine prairie, where he lived about
fourteen years, and at the end of that time
he again sold out, and purchased another
farm adjoining. He remained on the latter
place until his death, which occurred May
17, 1877. At the time of his death he had
considerable landed interests, owning 738
acres, where he has successfully engaged in
farming and stock-raising. He also had an
extensive practice, riding for miles in every
direction, and this was at a time when
there were no roads in the county, having
had to make his way by bridle paths. Mr.
Stults was highly esteemed; both as a physician
and a citizen. He was alife-long member
of the Baptist Church, and was always
active in all church work, of which most of
his children are also members. His widow
is a member of the Methodist Church.
Mrs. Stults was born in Gibson county,
Tennessee, June 15, 1834, a daughter of
Samuel and Lou (Sharp) Wilson, natives of
Maryland and North Carolina. The father
emigrated to Kentucky when a young man,
where he was married, and then moved to
Rutherford county, Tennessee, and afterward
to Gibson county, that State, where he died
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/362/: accessed September 21, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.