Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 367 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY. 359~~~~~~~
New York in 1865; .the mother died some
years previous intNew York, and was buried
at Syracuse. Mr. and Mrs. Arbuckle have
had seven children, namely: George, now of
St. Louis, was married to Marie Branconier,
a member of an old French family of St. Louis;
Maclyn, a leading member of the McLeon
Prescott Dramatic Company; James, Jr.,
who is in business with his father; Mary
Clyde, attending the Episcopal College at
Dallas; Alexander, also attending school;
Andrew Egon, at home. Socially, Mr. Arbuckle
is a member of the Masonic lodge at
Jefferson, and both he and his wife are members
of the Episcopal Church.
T. OVERAND, contractor and builder
204 Tholnas avenue, has been following
his calling here since 1886, erecting
most of the fine residences in the Ninth
Ward and some in the Eighth, besides the
Thomas building at the corner of Kemp
street and Griffith avenue, the Thomas residence
at the corner of Pearl street and McKinney
avenue, the residence of S. A. Mahon
on McKinney avenue, and the Worthington
residence at the corner of McKinney avenue
and Boal street. At present he is engaged
in erecting three fine brick residences in the
Ninth Ward, to rent or sell.
He was born in Macoupin county, Illinois,
in 1864, the second of the three children of
Wesley and Mary (Campbell) Overand, natives
of Ireland who came to America in their
young days and settled in Pennsylvania.
Next they moved to Illinois, and finally to
LDallas, and for two years attended the military
institute at Bryant, this State. Then
he learned the carpenter's trade, commencing
with his brother, at the age of nineteen years.
He opened Overand's Addition to the city
of Dallas, selling his first lot in 1887. Since
that he has sold eighteen lots, and he has
eighteen still left for sale, most of which
have buildings upon them: they are for rent
also, until sold. These houses have all the
modern improvements,-apparatus for gas,
hot water, etc. I-Ie dug and equipped the
first well in the Ninth Ward, which furnishes
water for the neighbors. The only people
there now are the families of Messrs. Bowen,
Thomas, Fletcher and Smith. Mr. Overand
has been one of the busy and energetic men
of the city, always taking an active interest
in the public welfare and material advancement
December 25, 1887, he married Allie C.
Bowen, a native of this county and a dauglhter
of William and Mary Bowen, natives of
Missouri, who came to this county in 1868.
The mother died in Navarro county, Texas.
Mr. and Mrs. Overand have two children:
Eddie and J. W.
ANIEL C. LANDESS.-This gentleman
has been a resident of Texas since
1878. He landed in Dallas county,
January 9, of that year, with a wagon and
team and $10 in money. He at once
rented a farm and commenced work, and
from the first has been successful in his
undertakings. He now owns a fine farm of
about 400 acres, all well improved. His cozy
and attractive residence has about it many features
characteristicof the Northern home. All
this property he has made since he came
here, with the exception of fifty acres, which
was a present to his wife from her father.
Mr. Landess was born in Highland county,
Ohio, May 16, 1847. His father, J. A.
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/367/: accessed October 16, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.