Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 368 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
Landess, was a native of the same county,
born in 1814. His mother, who before her
marriage was Miss Rachel Michael, was born
in 1818. In 1865 they moved to Illinois
and settled in Pike county, where the father
bought land and is still living. His wife
died there in 1878, at the age of sixty years.
To them were born ten children, and at this
writing all are living except two. Their
names are as follows: William, Levi, Nancy
(wife of E. A. Colvin), Asenath, Daniel C.,
Joln H., Merica, Harvey, Samuel, Thompson,
Amanda, wife of Eustace Cumnby, and Martin.
Daniel C. was married, October 17, 1878,
to Miss L. J. Potter, who was born December
12, 1857. For further mention of her
family see the sketch of J. P. Potter, in this
volume. Mr. and Mrs. Landess have five
children: Valtie, born October 2, 1880; Zula,
February 23, 1882; Leslie, February 13,
1884; Alvia, February 16, 1886; and Dona,
March 10, 1889.
Mr. Landess formerly belonged to the
Masonic and Odd Fellow fraternities, but
has not affiliated with these orders since coining
H. HARRELL, architect and superintendent
of public works and of
the school buildings of the city of
Dallas, was born in Warren county, Georgia,
in 1846, the eldest of the eight children of
J. W. B. and Mary (Hubert) Harrell, natives
of Georgia. The Harrell family settled in
North Carolina before the Revolutionary war,
in which both the subject's grandfathers participated.
His father, a farmer, came to Pittsburg,
in what is now Camp county, Texas,
in January, 1858, settling on a farm, when
the country was so new that he had to go to
Shreveport for supplies. In 1870 he removed
to Bell county, this State, and followed farming
there until his death, in April, 1881.
His widow now, resides with her children.
Mr. Harrell, our subject, was about twelve
years of age when the family came to this
State, and he consequently obtained the most
of his schooling at Pittsburg. In 1862 he enlisted,
in Upshur county, Texas, in Company
F, Fourteenth Texas Infantry, Walker's division,
and was in the battle of Mansfield,
Pleasant Hill, forty days' fight at the Yellow
bayou, Jenkins' ferry, Opelousas, etc. Then
he was transferred to Company F, Second
Texas, Partisan Rangers' Cavalry, and was
engaged in many skirmishes and in the
After the close of the war he returned to Pittsburg
and lived at home until 1870, meanwhile
engaging in building and contracting.
From 1870 to 1887 he was a resident of Bell
county, Texas. He came to Dallas in February,
1887, and here he has erected the
buildings of E. G. Knight, at the corner of
Elm and Howard streets, Jones Bros. on
Main street, D. N. Boren on Browder street,
W. B. Gano and George Mellersh at Oak
Lawn, R. D. Coughanour on Ross avenue, an
addition to the Catholic convent, the first
building in Oak Cliff, the Tenth street station,
and the first school building, a two-story frame.
He is connected with Isaac Taylor
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/368/: accessed March 20, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.