Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 370 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
Dallas county in 1850, with her mother,
then the widow of John M. Daniel, who died
in Tennessee, having previously lived in Alabama.
Mr. and Mrs. Daniel had eight children,
viz.: William, a lawyer, married Mary
Chandler, of Mississippi; Jesse, a farmer
five miles north of Dallas, married Ann Purvis;
Francis R., also a farmer five miles north
of Dallas, married Mary Robinson, of Alabama;
John F., married Mary Harvey, of
Dallas, and both are now deceased; Eliza,
deceased, was the wife of Levi Windham, of
Tuscaloosa, Alabama; Thomas B., a farmer
five miles north of Dallas; Isabella O., wife
of Alexander Howard; and Margaret S., our
subject. William, the eldest son, served in
the Mexican war, and was engaged in many
important battles. Thomas B. served in Good's
Battery, tie Civil war, and was engaged
East of the Mississippi river. During his
service he vas held a prisoner of war at Chicago
for eleven months.
RANK A USTI N.-The highly respected
citizen whose name heads this notice is
a jeweler, and a respectable old settler
of Dallas county. He was born July 2,
1826. His parents were Charles and Grace
(Busby) Austin, both natives of Pennsylvania.
The father was a wagon-maker in
Philadelphia and followed that business in
that city fr many years, being extensively
known. He was a relative of the Austins
after whom the city of that name was called.
He and his good wife were members of the
Baptist Church and were of Welsh extraction.
The father died in 1848, aged sixty, but his
wife survived him for about five years when
she too passed away, at about the same age.
She was a devout Christian woman and prominent
in the church. -There were nine children
in the family, all raised to mature years,
five of whom are still living.
Frank Austin was the seventh in the
family and was reared in Philadelphia, where
he received his education in the common
schools of that city. After finishing his
education he learned the jeweler trade, which
he worked at for some six years in Philadelphia
and then came to Wisconsin, in
1856, and settled in Ripon, where he opened
a jewelry store. Here he remained for three
years and then removed to Warsaw, Missouri,
and opened a store there and also remained
there for three years. From there he went
to Waukesha, Wisconsin, and opened a store
which he ran until 1870, then came to Dallas,
where he opened a store and has been engaged
here in the jewelry business ever since,
with considerable success.
Mr. Austin was elected Alderman of the
city in 1872, but does not care for political
honors, business claims engrossing his attention.
Our subject was married, in 1848, to Miss
Jane Colson, daughter of David Colson, of
Pemberton, New Jersey, and she bore her
husband three children, namely: D. C., who
is in the jewelry business at Childress, Texas,
married to a Miss J. T. Orr, of Dallas; William
F. and Martha Jane.
The mother died in 1854, aged twentyfour.
She was a member of the Baptist
Church. Mr. Austin's second marriage
occurred February 16, 1856, and the lady of
his choice was Miss Jane W. Wheeler, daughter
of Benjamin and Beatrice Wheeler, of
Northamptonshire, England, where they
were married, and where Mrs. Austin was
born. There were eight children in her
family, two of whom died in early childhood.
Of the remainder, five are still living. Mr.
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/370/: accessed September 21, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.