Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 383 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLJJS COUNTY. 373
Church; she died in/1863, aged fifty-one
He was married in 1876, to Miss Sallie
Haynes, the daughter and only child of J.
W. Haynes, a merchant. She was educated
in New York and Virginia, and is a lady of
rare culture. They have two sons and one
daughter: Sallie Haynes, Wildy and Barney,
Jr. The wife's parents, John W. and Maria
J. (Plummer) Haynes, came to Texas early in
the '50s, perhaps in 1851. Mr. Haynes was
a leading citizen in McKinney, and later in
Dallas, where he died in 1873. Mrs. Haynes
was a native of West Virginia, and died in
EV. J. A. HARTNETT, Rector of St.
Patrick's Church, Dallas, is a native of
Erin's Isle, county of Limerick, Ireland,
and a son of Daniel T. and Hanora (Donough)
Hartnett. The father died in Weatherford,
Parker county, Texas, in July, 1890, aged
seventy years, and the mother now resides at
the homestead in that county, aged sixtyeight
years. They were the parents of twelve
children, eight of whom are still living:
Thomas D., a railroad contractor through
Texas, Missouri, Alabama, Mississippi, and
is now in Indiana on a contract for a railroad
leading from Chicago East; Michael D., a
hardware and farm implement merchant of
Graceville, Minnesota; Cornelius D., a wholesale
grocer of Weatherford, being the senior
member of the firm of C. D. Hartnett
Bridget, wife of Charles Nolan, a farmer of
Ankeny, Iowa; Margaret, wife of John
Hartnett, a railroad contractor and farmer
near Weatherford; Augustine, an. Ursuline
nun of Dallas, and known as Madam St.
Mary Augustfi: J. A., our subject; and
Daniel D., a retail grocer of Weatherford.
Our subject's father's half. brother, John F.
Meagher, is ex-Governor of Minnesota.
Daniel T. Hartnett was a man highly respected
for his honesty and industry, and his
children grew to mature years under the best
parental influence, as is evinced by the business
tact and high standing of each. They
are all persons of prominence in their line,
and are respected by a large circle of acquaintances.
The subjectof this sketch came to America
with his parents in 1863, and to Texas in
1871. He was educated at St. Miary's College,
of St. Mary's Kansas, and his theological
studies were pursued at St. Mary's Seminary,
of Cincinnati, Ohio. He was ordained
July 5, 1891, and first served as assistant at
the Pro-Cathedral of the Sacred Heart,
located at the corner of Bryant and Ervay
streets, Dallas. Two months later lie was
appointed to his present position, which he
has filled successfully and satisfactorily. His
congregation is increasing rapidly, and in
fact, has almost doubled since his pastorate
began. Since early life Father Hartnett has
taken kindly to theology, his reading and
studies being directed chiefly to his present
work, and his habits and customs being in
strict keeping with his high calling. He is
a worthy man, an esteemed citizen, and is
endowed with both vigor and public spirit.
D. BURKE, of the firm of Burke
Bros., Cornice Works, Dallas, has
I. been a resident of this city for
about nine years.
Born in New Orleans, he spent his boyhood
days and learned the trade of copper, tin and
sheet-iron worker there. After 'working in
different cities of the country for some time,
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/383/: accessed September 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.