Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 385 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
H I S T O R Y O F D A L L A S C O U N T Y . 3 7 5~ ~
West Virginia, and in Ohio. In 1872 he came
to Dallas, settling near where he now resides,
and engaged in his trade, in Dallas and
surrounding towns. Some of the principal contracts
he has made and filled are those for
the building of the North Texas National
Bank, Middleton Bros.', Central Bank, Barnett
C. Gibbs' building, the St. George building,
the greatest portion of the Grand Windsor,
the new Eighth and Seventh Ward
school buildings, Exchange Bank, etc. He
generally has about eight skilled men in his
employ, and twelve laborers. The Acme
Cement Plaster is superior, as it gives a
very hard finish. One hundred and onehalf
tons of Acme plastering was used in
the building of the new courthouse. Mr.
Slocum was the contractor for the plastering
of the new courthouse of Dallas and
did a most excellent job, costing over $8,000.
Hlis bid was accepted over allothers, even
while bidding the highest, although plenty
low enough. This speaks well of the confidence
of the community in him as a finished and
thorough workman in his line.
In his political views he is a Democrat.
AVID MACKAY, M. D., was born in
Glasgow, Scotland, September 26, 1832,
a son of David and Agnes (Cruikshanks)
Mackay, natives of the same country. The
father was a manufacturer and with his wife
came to America in 1870, settling with his
son in Louisiana, where he passed the remainder
of his life, dying in May, 1872.
There were seven children in this family, two
of whom survive,-a sister living in Scotland
and the subject of this notice.
Dr. Mackay -..s educated in the University
of Glasgow, graduating in 1855. He
then went as assistant surgeon on one of
"Her /ajesty's" war-ships, and witnessed
many of the engagements of the Crimean
war. Upon the cessation of hostilities in
that quarter he returned to Scotland, and in
1857 emigrated to America. In 1861 he received
the degree of Doctor of Medicine from
the Hygeio-Therapeutic College of New
At the beginning of the Civil war he enlisted
in the Seventy-ninth New York Volunteer
Infantry (Highlanders), as Surgeon,
and served at Vicksburg, Knoxville, etc., and
in the Army of the Potomac under General
Burnside. He was field surgeon in many of
the most noted battles of the war, serving
faithfully until the close of the national contest,
being honorably discharged at Brownsville
Texas, in November, 1865.
Engaging next in his practice in the city
of New Orleans, he was soon appointed
Surgeon of the Marine Hospital, and was
City Physician of New Orleans for three
years, the trying duties of which position he
discharged satisfactorily to the public, and
with credit to himself. Soon after his removal
to Texas he was appointed Supervisor
of the free schools of l)allas and sixteen other
counties, comprising the Fifth Educational
District, thus establishing the first free
schools in these counties. The present excellent
public-school system is the outgrowth
of the efforts of the Doctor at that early day.
He met with marked success in his professional
work in this county, and he has won
a wide and lasting reputation as a skillful
practitioner. He has inherited many of the
sterling straits characteristic of the Scotch
nation, and he is well known as a fearless
advocate of his principles. Under President
Harrison he was appointed a member of the
Board of Pension Examiners,-an office which
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/385/: accessed June 20, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.