Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 394 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
where he has remained almost all the time
since. Five years of this period he devoted
his time to general practice, and the education
of his oldest and youngest sons in medicine,
and graduated them both in the Hahnnemann
Homeopathic College at Chicago,
Illinois, and settled them both in a lucrative
and respectable practice in this city. The
last five years of his time have been devoted
to special practice,-ophthalmology and otology,-until
within the last two years. Not
having attained as nuchl knowledge of medicine
as was commensurate with the necessities
of his desires, he attended another
special course of instructions, under the
auspices of Prof. E. H. Pratt, Chicago, Illinois,
in orificial surgery, since which time he
has confined himself exclusively to that branch
of the profession, and enjoys the satisfactory
commendation of all of his patrons in his
successful cures of many diseases thought to
He has been a regular correspondent of the
Southern Homeopathic Journal, which is
edited by one of his former partners. He is
a clear and logical writer, and his articles are
eagerly read by the members of the profession.
The homeopathic system of medicine has found
in Dr. Davis a stanch and able champion,
and a conscientious adherent to its principles.
AMES K. PALMER, Superintendent of
Public Instruction for Dallas county,
Texas, has done much toward building
up the educational interests of the county.
He is public-spirited and progressive in his
methods, and to his efficient and untiring
efforts much is due. It is with pleasure that
we present on these pages the following
sketch of his life.
James K. Palmer was born in Missouri,
October 22, 1847, son of Thomas and Minerva
(Shrewsbury) Palmer, natives of Virginia
and Kentucky respectively. His father
was a successful farmer and a highly respected
and public-spirited citizen. He was
in the Black Hawk war during the entire engagement.
In the Christian Church he was
a prominent and active member, and by all
who knew him he was esteemed. About
1845, he moved from Virginia to Missouri,
and in 1866 went to Wayne county, Illinois,
where he spent the residue of his life and
died. His wife, born in 1827, is still a resident
of Wayne connty. She has been a
member of the Christian Church the most of
her life. To this worthy couple were born
five sons and three daughters. One son,
Samuel J., is deceased. One daughter and
one son still reside in Wayne county, and
three sons live in Texas. All were too young
to tqkp part in the late war.
The subject of our sketch received his education
in Kirksville, in the North Missouri
NorinAl School, and a two years' special
training in the Central Indiana Normal
School, at which he graduated in 1884. He
has been a teacher for twenty-one years, has
taught in all grades, and has made a
marked success in his profession. He came
to Dallas county in 1872, and has taught in
Ellis, Tarrant and Dallas counties, chiefly in
the country. In 1886 he founded the Central
Institute in Dallas county, a school-of
four departments, primary, intermediate, preparatory
and high school. He erected the
building and established the school, the house
and grounds costing $2,600, and was serving
here at the time he was appointed to his present
position. This school, both a public
and a private one, has been of much
Dallas county, and is still in a prosperous
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/394/: accessed April 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.