Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 401 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
which he began the practice of medicine at
Camden, Arkansas, continuing there from
1858 to 1878. He then visited Europe and
took a private course under the tutorship of
the celebrated Lawson Tait, of the Queen's
College, at Birmingham, England, where he
remained three months. Dr. Pace came to
Dallas in 1878, and has been a continuous
practitioner here ever since, with good success.
He is a member of the County, State,
American and International Medical Associations.l
He met the last mentioned society in
Berlin, Germany, in 1890, and the next
meeting will be held at Rome. During their
meeting in Washington City, in 1876, he
was appointed a delegate from the State
Medical Association of Arkansas, and was
appointed to the one at Berlin for the State
Medical Association of Texas. The Doctor
has always ranked high in his profession in
whatever community he has resided, and has
been an unceasing student throughout all the
years of his practice. His professional skill,
his kindly, genial temperament, coupled with
his manly qualities, have gained him the respect
and esteem of the community.
Dr. Pace was married on New Year's day,
1860, to Miss Anna J. Woodland, a daughter
of Edward Norris Woodland, of Camden,
Arkansas. Mrs. Pace is a lady of culture
and refinement, and possesses many admirable
traits of character. They are the parents
of six children, namely: Edward, born October
1, 1860, died March 23, 1861; Jessie,
born January 23, 1862, is the wife of Edward
Gray, an attorney of Dallas, and Beulah is
their only living child; Montrose, born October
7, 1864, died August 28, 1865; James
born October 25, 1865, is a druggist of this
city; Beulah, born March 13, 1871, is the
wife of Harry Kahler, agent for the Middlesex
Banking Company, of this city; Sadie,
born September 26, 1876, is a pupil of the
Dallas High School. Mrs. lace is a mnember
of the Presbyterian Church. Our subject
is a member of the Masonic order, blue
lodge, Royal Arch and commandery, and of
the K. of P. and the K. of H. Dr. Pace is
in thorough sympathy with the progress of
the city on every line of advancement.
V. CHILDERS, MI. D., occupies a
prominent place in professional circles
in Dallas, and is well worthy of representation
in this volume. HTe was born in
Giles county, Tennessee, in 1832, and is a
son of J. Vaulton Childers. He passed his
boyhood and youth in his native State, and
received his education in the private schools
of the county. Having chosen the profession
of medicine as his life work, he began the
study of the science at Pulaski, Tennessee,
and was graduated at the University of Pennsylvania
in 1859, with the degree of M. D.
He had just begun his practice when the war
between the North and South ended the pursuit
of all private interests. He took an
active part in the raising of a company for
the Third Regiment Tennessee Volunteer Infantry,
Confederate States America, and was
soon appointed Assistant Surgeon. He was
afterward commissioned Surgeon, and spent
the most of his time in the hospitals, although
he was often in the field in active service
Viewed from the position of a citizen ih a
civilized quarter of the globe, it was a terrible
thing to witness the carnage of battle,
but from a professional standpoint, he gained
a rare experience, and one that will be of
profit to him throughout his career as a
After the cessation of hostilities Dr. Chil-
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/401/: accessed November 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.