Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 402 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
!HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
ders returned to Tennessee, where he practiced
until 1872, when he came to Texas, and at
once entered into professional work in which
he was actively engaged until 1889. He was
among the earliest doctors in the place, and
justly claims the title of "' pioneer."
He was married to Miss Corinne Elliott,
a daughter of Dr. Elliott, a full history of
whom is given elsewhere in this volume.
Two years after her marriage Mrs. Childers
died. Five years later the doctor married
Mrs. Ida Patton, nee Randall, whose family
were among the early settlers in Texas. They
have no children. The Doctor is a member
of the Masonic order, belonging both to the
blue lodge and the chapter. For many
years he has been a member of the Methodist
Episcopal Church, and has contributed
liberally towards its support. He is a man
of great integrity of character and high moral
principles. He has acquired a competency
through his professional labors, and lives in
ahandsome home on Pearl street, where he is
surrounded by all the comforts of a modern
NDREW J. PULASKI, a prosperous
farmer of Dallas county, residing near
Mesquite, dates his birth in Upson
county, Georgia, September 29, 1852. He
started out in life at the age of sixteen with
nothing save the clothes he had on his back,
and, unaided, he has risen to his present
position of prosperity, He served a threeyears'
apprenticeship to the carpenter's trade,
and subsequently decided to try his fortune
in the West. He started out in company
with another young man, he (Mr. Pulaski)
furnishing the money, and when they reached
Texas his companion gave him the dodge,
and has never been heard from since. Alone
and without money, lie walked day and night
until he reached his destination. He then
hired out to work on the railroad as a section
hand, and, after being thus employed for a
short time, went to Arlington and worked at
his trade in the day time and piled wood at
night for the railroad company, working
eighteen hours a day for eighteen months,
rain or shine. At the end of three years Mr.
Pulaski had made money enough to buy seventy-five
acres of improved land. He then
returned to Alabama and was married to
" the girl he had left behind," and came back
to Texas that same year. Again he was employed
on the railroad, this time as section
foreman, continuing as such two years. Next
we find him at Forney, where he bought
property and kept hotel six months. Not
liking that business he moved to his farm,
and here he has since lived, engaged in agricultural
pursuits. He has purchased other
lands and is now the owner of 505 acres, all
fenced and otherwise improved. He is now
comfortably situated and is enjoying the
fruits of his early years of toil.
John C. Pulaski, his father, was born in
1823. He was married to Miss Maggie
Moore in 1844, and in 1855 moved to Alabama,
bought land and still-lives on his farm
there. By his first wife he had six children:
Sarah, wife of Wiley Sanders; Bettie, who
died young; Andrew J.; Charley, now deceased;
Drusy G.; David R. Mrs. Pulaski
died in 1862, at the age of thirty-five years.
In 1866 Mr. Pulaski wedded Sarah Ingram,
and by her has had five children. Mollie,
the oldest, is the wife of Thomas Tobias.
The others are: John, Mely, Owen and James.
Mr. Pulaski, Sr., was in the Confederate army
during the war, was captured at Fort Blakely,
and was paroled.
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/402/: accessed April 27, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.