Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 418 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
endowed with those qualifications necessary
to insure success than is the subject of this
sketch, whose extraordinary energy has removed
all the obstacles of circumstances, and
gained for him a foremost rank among this
army of pushing mercantile giants.
L. Housley was born near the town of the
same name, Housley, located in Dallas county,
on December 25, 1863, and remained on the
home farm until he was fifteen years of age.
At this time he began to learn the drug business,
working, for this purpose, in a drug
store in Dallas for two years, when, varying
his occupation, he engaged in farming for a
while, subsequently starting a dry-goods and
grocery store in the town of Housley. It
was while thus employed that he was summoned
to official duty, having been appointed
Postmaster by President Cleveland,
which office he still holds, under the present
administration. This fact of itself sufficiently
testifies to his ability and integrity,
both of which are necessary for a fitness for
Mr. Housley was married October 3, 1888,
to Miss Willie E. Stokes of Chapel Hill,
Washington county, this State, a vivacious
and amiable young lady, and a representative
of a prominent family. Her parents
were originally from Mississippi,
grandfather, Rev. J. H. Stone was one of the
pioneers of Washington county. She has a
brother, who is an able lawyer, residing in
Wichita Falls, Texas. He married Miss
Lillie Billingslea, a well known society lady.
Mrs. Housley's sister, Miss Mannie Stokes, a
very bright young lady, was married to R.
D. Exum, a wealthy planter, and a prominent
business man of Vaughan, Mississippi.
The subject of our sketch and his wife have
two children: the elder, Blanche, was born
July 17, 1889, and the younger child was
born June 25, 1891. Mrs. Housley is a
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
The location and natural environments of
the place chosen by Mr. Housley for his
home, eminently fit it for that use. With
190 acres of highly cultivated land situated
on the shores of a sparkling sheet of water,
covering three acres at a depth of twentyfive
feet, known as Housley lake, abounding
with the greatest quantity of fine fish, it
may well be one of the show places of the
State. On an attractive site on this land Mr.
Housley has built a handsome residence, with
all modern conveniences and improvements,
besides commodious barns for his grain and
stock. Two hundred yards from his residence
is his store, which is the largest in the town.
Here he conducts a large business in dry goods
and groceries. Mr. Housley is permanently
located, and will lend all his efforts to make
Housley lake the metropolis of this part of
the county, which with his reputation for
energy and determination he will no doubt
Public-spirited and liberal-minded, ever
ready to lend his efforts to the promotion of
the public good, Mr Housley has gained the
confidence and esteem of his fellow citizens,
while his cordial, accommodating disposition
has endeared him to a large circle of
W. MORRISON, a contractor and
builder of Dallas, came to the city in
April, 1873, at which time the place
contained a population of 5,500, and he has
ever since followed his vocation here. For
the first four or five years he was a journeyman
carpenter, commencing to take contracts
for himself in 1877. He erected the busi-
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/418/: accessed April 27, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.