Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 422 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
gaged in the same business. Mr. Lacy is
identified with the Democratic party, has
witnessed the complete growth of the city of
Dallas, and has taken an active interest in
everything for the good of the city and
county. He was married at Hot Springs,
Arkansas, August 13, 1878, to Miss Rosa
Moore, a native of Tennessee and a daughter
of J. W. and Agnes (Derring) Moore,
natives of North Carolina. The parents
moved to Tennessee at an early day, and
later to Hot Springs, where the father followed
merchandising. The father died in
that city. Mr. and Mrs. Lacy have had
seven children, namely: William N., Harry
T., Ruby, Mary Helen, Jessie A., John N.
R. A. M. ELMORE, a prominent and
highly respected physician and surgeon
of Dallas, Texas, is a native of Perry
county, Missouri, born August 20, 1837.
His parents were James and Anna (Cosner)
Elmore, natives, respectively, of South and
North Carolina. In Missouri the father was
a farmer and distiller, later a merchant. He
came from Missouri to Grayson county, Texas,
in 1852, and in this State engaged in milling
and mercantile business, and also successfully
carried on farming and stock operations. He
was known far and wide as "Uncle Jimmie,'
and by all who knew him he was respected
and admired for his many estimable qualities.
He died in Pilot Point, Texas, in 1865, aged
fifty-seven years. His worthy companion
passed from earth's activities to her reward in
1869, at the age of fifty-six. Of their six
children, the Doctor was the third-born. He
received his literary education in public and
private schools, also attending the Literary
Institute at Clarksville, Texas. He then read
medicine under the tutorship of Dr. J. P.
Hutchinson at Pilot Point. He attended the
McDowell College, St. Louis, Missouri, graduating
Returning from college, Dr. Elmore opened
an office in Cooke county, near the present
site of Marysville, and practiced there one
year. Then, in 1862, he enlisted in the
Twenty-ninth Texas Cavalry, under Colonel
Charles DeMorse, and was with the forces
that operated in Indian Territory and Arkansas.
Until the battle of Elk Creek he was a
private. At that time he was transferred to
general-hospital service, and later was promoted
to assistant surgeon, under Dr. Crowdus,
in the First Choctaw and Chickasaw
Regiment, remaining thus engaged until the
After the war he came back to Texas and
located at Pilot Point, where he engaged in
the practice of medicine and sale of drugs.
In 1887 he came from there to Dallas, and
has since been engaged in practice here. The
Doctor is a writer of some distinction. He
is also engaged as business manager of The
Texas Hiealth Journal. This journal is a
handsome and well written monthly magazine,
devoted to preventive and State medicine, the
creation of a State Board of Health, and the
exposure of medical frauds, secret remedies
and quacks. Following are the names of its
officers: J. R. Briggs, M. D., managing
editor; J. C. Rucker, M. D., and T. P. Pipkin,
M. D., associate editors; A. M. Elmore,
M. D., business manager; and Hon. Dudley
G. Wooten, attorney for the company.
Dr. Elmore was married in 1862 at Pilot
Point, Texas, to Miss Frances Dirickson,
daughter of Isaac and Harriet Dirickson, of
Pilot Point, she and her parents being natives
of Kentucky. The Doctor and his wife had
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/422/: accessed September 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.