Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 429 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
branch at Georgetown, Kentucky, during the
war. They now belong to the Central Chris
tian Church on Masten street.
From Mr. Johnson we learn the following
interesting facts: The first brick sewer ever
built in Dallas was an oval arch, about three
feet high and 300 feet long, extending from
the northeast corner of Griffith and Elm
streets, southeast (through what was at that
time Pink Thomas' wagon-yard) to the northwest
corner of Main and Murphy streets.
This sewer was afterward taken out and rebuilt
from Elm to Main street, down Murphy
street: Bob James, contractor. The first
pipe sewer ever laid in Dallas was the sixinch
pipe in Elm street, from Jefferson to
-Murphy street, and the fifteen-inch pipe down
Murphy street from Elmn street to the Trinity
river at the Rock ford: Captain Ed. Doyle,
contractor. The first Macadam street ever
constructed in Dallas was on Ross avenue,
from Oleander (now Ervay) street to the
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/429/: accessed July 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.