Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 444 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OP DALLAS COUNTYKnowles,
a native of Indiana, who came to
Texas in her youth. She is the daughter of
W. T. Knowles, the former manager. Mr.
and Mrs. Mann have two children, Grace and
Eloise. Mr. Mann is independent in his
political views, and socially belongs to the
Knights of Pythias. He is wide-awake and
enterprising, and is probably one of the most
successful sewing-machine men in the State.
I.OUIS M. T. FLO(OK, a prominent farmer
of Dallas county, was born in Maryland,
in 1848, the third of nine children
born to Daniel and Elizabeth (Mumma) Flook.
The families both caine originally from Germany,
and first settled in Pennsylvania. The
present family lived in that State with their
parents, where they resided until the death of
their father, Daniei Flook. Of the nine
children born to MIr. and Mrs. Flook, only
five survive, namely: William S., a farmer of
MIaryland; L. M. T., our subject; John P.,
who resides in Anderson county, Kansas;
Millard F., of Maryland; Fannie E., wife of
John Ahalt, of Maryland. The remaining
four died when small. The father died in
Maryland in 1871, on the farm on which he
was reared, and his widow still resides in this
county with her children. The father was a
member of the German Reformed, and the
mother of the United Brethren Church.
L. M. T. Flook, our subject, was educated
in the common schools of his native county,
which he attended until the age of twenty
years, but only went a short time each year,
and therefore acquired only a limited education.
By close application to study he has
so informed himself that he is a recognized
authority on most subjects open for discus
sion. He came to this county in 1875, and
settled on the farm which he now owns, one
mile west of Garland, where he purchased 150
acres. He now has the entire acreage under
cultivation, has erected a splendid residence,
and one of the finest barns in the locality,
together with other necessary out-buildings.
He has added 205 acres to the original purchase,
and now has the entire farm under
cultivation, 280 acres of which is in corn,
wheat and cotton. This year his wheat averaged
seventeen and a half bushels per acre,
corn from twenty-five to thirty bushels per
acre, and cotton one-half bale per acre. He
also owns another farm of 150 acres, besides
some timber land.
Mr. Flook was married in 1874, to Miss
Mary C., daughter of Daniel and Mahali
(Biser) Bechtol, whose sketch appears in this
work. To Mr. and Mrs. Flook have been
born six children, viz.: Della V., Fannie E.,
deceased, Charles D., Millard I., Walter V.,
deceased, and Hattie M. Both parents are
members of the Baptist Church.
HARLES MEISTERHAUS, the popular
and efficient representative of William
J. Lemp, of St. Louis, Missouri,
has a been a resident of Dallas county since
1870. He was born in Switzerland in 1844,
where he grew to nature years and acquired
a good education. At the age of twentyfour
years he came to America, believing
that the new world offered wider opportunities
than the old. He came from New Orleans,
the point at which he landed, to Dallas
county, Texas, where his uncle, Mr. Bohl,
was a well-known citizen and at that time
Clerk of the county. Mr. Bohl gave his
nephew a position under him, and
acquired a thorough knowledge of the English
used in the business world.
In 1871 Mr. Meisterhaus was united in
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/444/: accessed October 21, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.