Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 447 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY. 429
marriage to Mrs. -.Yetcer,a-anative of Baden,
Germany. She owned a brewery, of which
Mr. Meisterhaus took charge, conducting it
very successfully until the State tax was
levied upon beer of home manufacture. He
then abandoned this occupation, and secured
the position of representative of William J.
Lemp, of St. Louis, Missouri. He has been
his chief agent in Texas since, the main office
being located at Dallas. He travels extensively
throughout the State, and has a
wide acquaintance in commercial circles.
In his political thought and action Mr.
Meisterhause is independent, casting his vote
for the man best fitted in his estimation to
discharge the duties of the office. He is a
member of the Masonic fraternity, and of the
Knights of Honor. The German Lutheran
Church has expressed his religious convictions,
and he has been for many years an
active member of the society.
Two children have been born to Mr. and
Mrs. Meisterhaus, Charles and Elizabeth.
They occupy a handsome residence in Dallas,
and are surrounded with all the comforts and
luxuries of modern civilization.
A. GRACEY, a prosperous and prominent
Dallas county farmer, was born
in Bond county, Illinois, March 13,
1837, the youngest son of eleven children of
William and Isabella AT. (Harris) Gracey,
natives of South Carolina, of Scotch and
Irish descent and pioneer settlers of Illinois.
At the age of thirteen years Mr. Gracey
came to Texas, by way of steamboat to New
Orleqas, and thence up the Red river to JeffersQn,
Texas, whence he walked to the three
forks of the Trinity, now Dallas city,-a distance
of 200 miles. For the first three
months here he was employed by Colonel
John M. Crockett, at $12 a month; and
the rest of that year he assisted his
brother in Ellis (now Johnson) county, in
the improvement of his farm, and for a time
with an ox team, broke prairie, etc., for different
parties. In the fall of 1854, with
Colonel M. T. Johnson (after whom Johnson
county was named) and Captain Robert Sloan,
he went to Fort Belknap as a prospector for
the Texas next were at Camp
Cooper, when that was surrendered to the
Confederates, and remained there until April,
1862, ten months, during which time they
were in eight engagements with Indians,
killing seventeen of the red savages, and captured
forty-seven head of horses, and losing
four men killed and thirteen wounded, be-sides
two mortally frightened,-at least they
were never heard from afterward. In April,
1862, the company was reorganized, when Mr.
Gracey was elected Lieutenant. They were
then ordered to Fort Mason, thence to San
Antonio, and thence to Ringgold barracks on
the Rio Grande, to hold the Mexicans in
check. During this campaign they had at
one time to do without bread for twenty-four
days. From Ringgold barracks they were
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/447/: accessed March 20, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.