Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 448 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
ordered to Brownsville, whence they were
sent with a detachment into Mexico, to buy
mules for the Confederate Government. They
purchased sixty head, near Monterey, at
$7 each. Next they were sent to Corpus
Christi, Goliad and Sabine Pass,-at
which latter place they had a battle with
United States troops, captured two gunboats
and 160 prisoners. Here Mr. Gracey was
promoted First Lieutenant. Next the comnpany
was sent to Niblett's Bluff, where they
entered winter quarters.
In March they were sent to Mansfield,
Louisiana, to meet Banks coming up Red
river. On the 8th of April they had an engagement
with him, and followed up his retreat
to Yellow Bayou, where they engaged
him again. During the remainder of the
summer they picketed the line, and then
went into winter quarters at Keechie, Louisiana,
and were there when Lee surrendered at
Appomattox. June 15 following, they were
Returning to Dallas county, Mr. Gracey
was married, August 27, 1865, to Miss Martha
Amanda Matlock, a native of Kentucky,
and a daughter of A. C. and Malvina M.
(Harris) Matlock, and they have had fourteen
children, five of whom died il infancy. The
living are: Malvina Isabella, now the wife of
L. M. Goforth, of Hall county; Ann White,
A. Lee, Effie, Laura, Addie, John, Walter
After his marriage Mr. Gracey settled upon
his present farm, which then consisted of
185 acres of wild land, which he improved,
and added to, until he now is the owner of
340 acres of Dallas county's best soil, besides
640 acres in Hall county. Ever since his
location here he has followed farming and
stock-raising. In 1874 he put up a cotton
gin, which he remodeled in 1889, giving it a
capacity of twenty-five bales per day, and is
now doing an extensive business in ginning.
He now resides in the village of Lisbon, of
which he is the founder, and where he gave a
lot of three acres for a church and buryingground,
built a blacksmith shop, and obtained
the establishment of a post office.
During the administration of Governor E.
J. Davis, he was cattle inspector. He is a
charter member of Oak Cliff Lodge, A. F.
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/448/: accessed June 28, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.