Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 450 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
German descent. In 1858 Mr. Mouser came
to Texas and settled where we find him today.
Here he purchased sixty-three acres of
land, at a cost of $7 per acre. He has since
added to his first purchase eighty-two acres,
and now has under cultivation ninety-four
acres. He makes a specialty of raising fine
horses; has some very fine-bred horses of
Morgan, Black Hawk and Hambletonian
stock; and has a colt sired by a Morgan
horse that is said to be one one of the.finest
colts in the county.
During the war Mr. Mouser served in the
Confederate army, and after the surrender
and his return home he found himself without
anything save his land and his family.
His fences all down, his land laid waste, no
money, and only one horse, he was compelled
to rent land for two years, or until he could
get his own farm in condition to cultivate.
From that time he has been successful. He
now has a splendid farm, good buildings, etc.,
and is ranked with the prosperous farmers of
Mr. Mouser and his wife are the parents of
eight children, viz.: John A., a farmer of
this county; William P., deceased; Fannie
B., wife of I. N. Range, of this county;
Charles B., who resides in Dallas; Matilda
A., wife of Charles Spillman, of this county;
and James 0. and Eddie B., at home.
MSr. and Mrs. Mouser are members of the
St. Paul Catholic Church of Dallas.
G. LANHAM, a farmer and stock raiser
living in precinct No. 3, Dallas county,
Texas, was born in Franklin county,
Missouri, January 14, 1820. He was the
fifth born in the family of eight children of
Sylvester and Jane (Estes) Lanham, natives
of Kentucky and Virginia respectively. Mr.
Lanham moved to Missouri when that State
was yet a Territory and located in what was
afterward Franklin county. He served in
the Winnebago campaign for a short time.
In 1814 he joined the American army for
the war with Great Britain, but peace being
declared soon afterward, he saw no active
service. During Mr. Lanham's residence in
Franklin county, the earthquake occurred in
New Madrid and other points in southeastern
Missouri, and was so serious in Franklin
county that many chimneys were felled to
the ground. From Missouri he moved to
Morgan county, Illinois. This was about
1828. After living there seven years he went
to Adams county, where he remained about
the same length of time. As the country
settled up he moved from place to place, ever
seeking the frontier. Next he located on
the Pratt purchase in Missouri, then in Andrew
county, next to Nodaway county, same
State, where.he lived until 1853. That year
he harnessed his team and started across the
country for Texas, arriving in Dallas county
and taking up his abode at the place where
his son, B. G. Lanham, now lives. In making
this trip they were seven weeks on the
road. Arriving here December 24, 1853, he
and his son immediately purchased a farm of
600 acres. Eight acres of the soil had been
broken and a little log house had been built,
these being the only improvements on the
place. Although game was plenty here the
senior Mr. Lanham found himself too old to
enjoy the pleasures of the chase. He died
at this place in 1863, at the age of seventy-two
or three years. His wife lived until 1868,
when she died, at the age of seventy-one. Of
the eight children born to them all lived to
be grown. Their names are as follows: Margaret,
wife of Isaac Elam, died, leaving a
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/450/: accessed August 20, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.