Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 452 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
business in the South, running over $500,000
net premiums a year. On retiring from
the insurance business in 1889, Mr. Dargan
promoted and organized the Security Mortgage
and Trust Company of Dallas. The
officers are as follows: J. T. Trezevant,
president; J, T. Dargan, vice-president; J. C.
O'Connor, second vice-president; Guy Sumpter,
third vice-president; W. W. Rogers,
secretary; E. M. Reardon, treasurer. The
assets of the company amount to $2,250,000.
Their building, which is now near completion,
with the grounds, cost $250,000. It is conveniently
located and is undoubtedly one of
the finest structures in the Southwest for
office purposes. There are over 100 rooms
for offices above the ground floor. Of this
immense business Mr. Dargan is the head
He is a man of Scotch-Irish extraction and
has marked individuality. He is a thoroughly
self-made man; has been an earnest
student in every line of business in which he.
has engaged; has been a splendid success in
the insurance business; and all who know
him in business relations appreciate him for
his true worth and good business qualifications.
He has a beautiful home with attractive
surroundings and everything to make
life enjoyable. Mr. Dargan is well known
in the Eastern cities as throughout the
Southwest, his business relations having
brought him in contact with many of the
promiinent men of New York, Philadelphia
and Baltimore. He affiliates with the Democratic
party, but is not a politician. In
1880 he took the prize in Chicago for the
ablest essay on the subject of Fire Insurance,
against the best talent in the United States.
Mr. Dargan was married in 1876, to Miss
Teresse Carlton, daughter of R. G. Carlton,
of Union Point, Georgia. To them have
been born three children: Ret, J. T. and
Ellie. Mrs. Dargan is a lady of culture,
refinement and social attainments, and is a
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church
South. Mr. Dargan, accompanied by his
wife, has traveled extensively in Europe,
visiting its principal cities.
rOHN W. MERRIFIELD, deceased, settled
in Dallas county in 1849, but was a
native of Kentucky, born near Louisville
March 12, 1823, a son of John and Sarah
Merrifield, both of whom were born in the
blue-grass regions of Kentucky. John W.
Merrifield, was brought up on a farm and
upon his removal to Texas in the fall of
1849, he was thoroughly familiar with all
the details of the business. He at once located
on a farm which he had previously
secured about five miles west of Dallas, where
he assisted his father, who had also come to
this section, in improving the land. After
remaining with his father until 1853 he embarked
in the grocery business, to which his
attention was devoted for two years. He then
turned his business over to the mangement of
a clerk, and upon a tract of 320 acres of wild
land he began the task of improving.
He was married August 18,1859, to MissA.
E. Hern, a native of Clay county, Missouri and
a daughter of William and Elizabeth (Sloan)
Hern, Tennesseeans by birth, who were of
French and Irish descent respectively and
who removed to Missouri in an early day. The
Herns came to Texas in 1844 and settled in
Red River county, where they resided four
years; then he came to Dallas county, arriving
May 10, 1849, where the father died in
1859, at the age of fifty-two years, the mother
being still a resident of Dallas. After their
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/452/: accessed May 28, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.