Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 458 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
ively and of English and Scotch ancestry.
When he was fourteen years old his parents
removed to Montgomery county, Illinois,
where he was reared on the farm and educated
in the subscription schools, held in primitive
log schoolhouses, remaining a member
of his father's household until he reached
his twenty-fifth year.
In 1854 Mr. Fleming came to Texas,
traveling through with teams and being
thirty days en route. For two years he rented
land, after which he went to the western
part of the State and spent one year in what
is now Jack county, then unexplored and inhabited
chiefly by Indians and wild animals.
From that place he came back to Dallas
county and purchased ninety-six acres of
wild land, at once beginning to make improvements
on it. He was married September 30,
1856, to Miss C. J. Britain, daughter of
Joseph Britain, of whom prominent mention
is made elsewhere in this volume. After his
marriage he settled on his present farm,
which, from its wild State he has brought to
a high standard of development. An attractive
feature of his place is a fine grove of
shade-trees which he planted. As a curiosity
we may mention here that Mrs. Fleming
adorns her house with a beautiful hair wreath,
consisting of locks of hair taken from 117
different members of five generations of the
To Mr. and Mrs. Fleming, three children
were born, two of whom are still living:
Rachel Anna, the eldest daughter, was born
December 5, 1857 in 1881, was united in
marriage to Mr. C. E. Logan (son of Dr. A.
R. Logan), of Davenport, Iowa; five children
blessed this union, four of whom are still
living: three girls and one boy. Mrs. Logan
is a member of the Christian Church. Lee
Fleming, second child, a son, born December
25, 1866, in Dallas county, Texas,
died in Pana, Illinois, July 13, 1868, aged
one year and seven months; Shular V. Fleming,
the youngest son, was born in Dallas
county, Texas, April 9, 1871, and resides
with his parents on the old home place.
Mr. and Mrs. Fleming have twice made
the trip back to Illinois with teams since
they took up their abode in Texas. In politics
he is independent. Mrs. Fleming is
a member of the Christian Church.
In connection with the history of Mr.
Fleming's parents, it should be further
stated that his father died in 1864, aged
sixty-one years, and his mother is still living,
in Illinois, having reached the advanced age
of eighty-six years. She retains her mental
and physical powers to a remarkable degree.
Seven of their eight children still survive.
She has forty-six grandchildren, twenty-eight
of whom are living, and she has twenty-four
great-grandchildren, of whom twenty-one are
OSES GOODFELLOW, of Dallas
county, was born in Meigs county,
Ohio, January 12, 1820, a son of
Peter B. and Annie (Crow) Goodfellow. The
father, a native of New York, moved to
Meigs county, Ohio, at an early date, later
to Mason county, Virginia, and in 1841 to
Randolph county, Missouri, where he died
in 1869, at the age of eighty-five years. He
was a soldier in the war of 1812, for which
he received head-warrants in Arkansas. Mr.
and Mrs. Goodfellow were married in New
York, and the wife accompanied her husband
in all his moves, sharing his fortunes, and
survived him eight years, dying in Randolph
county, Missouri, in July, 1877, at the age
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/458/: accessed May 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.