Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 459 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS OUNTY.44
of eighty-four years-. The children of Mr.
and Mrs. Goodfellow are: Melancthon,
Susan, Moses, John, Peter, Adam, James
and Mary. All the children are now deceased
except the subject of this sketch and a sister,
Susan, who is now the widow of Francis
Wolf, and resides in Randolph county, Missouri.
Moses, the subject of this sketch, settled
in Missouri when a young man, and in the
fall of 1860 he came to Dallas county. Before
coming to this State he traded for 205
acres of land in Dallas county, and to this
he has since added unutil he now owns 276
acres on Grapevine Prairie, about one-half of
which is in cultivation, and the remainder in
pasture. Mr. Goodfellow also owns ninety
acres of timber laud near his homestead, and
forty-five acres on the West Fork of the Trinity.
He has done all the improving on his
home place, having fenced the entire tract,
cultivated about 100 acres, set out a fine
orchard, and erected a comfortable, two-story
Mr. Goodfellow was married in Missouri,
November 25, 1846, to Nancy Beale, who
was born in Boone county, Kentucky, December
16, 1828. She was taken by her parents,
Thomas and Lucy Beale, to Missouri
when ten years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Goodfellow
have reared a large family of children,
all of whom are now grown, and most of
whom are married. They are as follows:
Orillia, born February 7, 1848; Lucy Ann,
January 20, 1850; William B. May 16, 1852;
Sarah Nancy, June 29, 1854; John James,
August 11, 1856; Thomas Peter, February
15, 1859; Mary Frances, August 26, 1861;
Mosettie, March 12, 1864; and Robert, March
26, 1867. Lucy Ann died October 11, 1870;
Sarah Nancy, September 17, 1880; Mary
Frances, October 22, 1882. William B.
married Sarah E. Jasper, of Dallas county;
John James was married December 20, 1882,
to Lou Swan, of Tarrant county; Mary Frances
was the wife of Isaac D. IHouston, of Tarrant
county; MIosettie was married to William
Lucas, of Dallas county, October 20, 1886;
Thomas Peter was married Febrlary 27,
1889, to Idelia Burgoon; and Robert married
Fannie Foster, of Coleman county, Texas,
March 26, 1891. Mr. and Mrs. Goodfellow
are members of the Missionary Baptist
Church, the former having been baptized at
Sweet Springs-Church, Randolph county,
Missouri, October 12, 1849, and the latter
at Bear Creek Church, Tarrant county, July
OHN B. MAY was born in Bowling
Green, Kentucky, November 1, 1847,
and was seven months old when his parents
emigrated to Texas. They first settled
in Bonham and after remaining there two
years moved to McKinney. They soon afterward
located in Dallas county, and there John
B. was reared on a farm and received a cornmon-school
education. When a boy he was
full of energy and push, and since grown has
been engaged in various enterprises, always
making a success of whatever he undertook.
After his marriage, which occurred January
6, 1869, he engaged in farming. He subsequently
turned his attention to the grocery
business and conducted a store two years. He
afterward ran a market house at Dallas. Next
we find him in Palo Pinto county, west Texas,
conducting a cattle ranch. In 1881 he returned
to Dallas, farmed one year and then
sold groceries two years. In 1884 he moved
to Farmers' Branch, where he has since remained
and is now the leading merchant and
produce dealer of the place. During the
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/459/: accessed October 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.