Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 467 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
married, Miss .Mlary Mitchel, of Groton,
Connecticut, an educated and accomplished
young lady of one of the oldest and most
highly respected families of New England.
The next winter was spent in Missouri, where
Mr. Browii lay at death's door with the malignant
disease called t "black tongue," which
fastened upon his lungs and rendered him
unfit for active labor for several years, and
the effects of which yet manifest themselves
under exposure. Returning to Texas he remained
for a time at his mother's, where his
first child, Julius Rufus, was born, on the 1st
of February, 1846.
Later in the same year, when the Victoria
Advocate was started, he removed to that
place and was employed on that paper, assisting
in its editorial department.
When the militia of the new State was
organized in 1846, about the commencement
of the Mexican war, he was appointed Brigade
Major of the Southwest, with the rank of
Colonel, which position he held four years.
In February, 1848, he removed to the new
town of Indianola, and until 1854 was an
active and zealous worker in the interests of
that place, holding various positions of trust.
He also founded and edited the Indianola
Bulletin, a widely circulated and influential
journal. During this time he was a contributor
to De Bow's Review, under the general
title of "( Early Life in the Southwest."
During the time from annexation in 1845'46
to 1854 he became a thorough disciple
of States' rights, as held by the great sage
and apostle of liberty, Thomas Jefferson,
which beliefs were the corner stones of his
political actions from that time until secession
In 1854 he purchased an interest in and
became co-editor of the Galveston Civilian;
bpt Mr. Hamilton Stuart, his senior associate,
the founder of the paper and an able writer,
held the position of United States Customhouse
Collector, and the chief editorial labor
devolved on Colonel Brown. He manifested
such ability that he was nominated for the
House of Representatives, and began his
career as a public speaker with such effect
that he was considerably the foremost man
when the votes were counted.
Colonel Brown was an active, laborious
and conscientious worker in the Legislaturenever
speaking over five minutes and only on
subjects on which he could throw light-always
watchful for the interests of his constituency,
yet an attentive listener, anxious
to understand the bearing of every question
discussed upon the permanent good of Texas.
Tlat his course was eminently satisfactory to
his constituency was proven by his unanimous
nomination before his return home and his
triumphant election a few days after his
arrival, as Mayor of the city, a position he
neither sought nor desired.
Under his first year's administration the
streets were improved, the laws of the city
revised and published, so that each voter
could have a copy, many abuses were corrected,
one of which was giving the mayor a
fee of $2.50 for each conviction before him,
and none for acquittal, of which he had never
heard, and which he denounced as a bribe,
refusing to touch money thus received, and
induced the council to strike this law from
the municipal code.
At the expiration of his term in March,
1857, he was re-elected without opposition.
During his second term public improvements
continued. His editorial labors continued
during all this period, though his health remained
precarious as it had been for thirteen
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/467/: accessed May 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.