Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 471 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
tered Jefferson-Medical College, Philadelphia,
where he graduated in 1868. He practiced
for some time before he located in Baltimore,
Maryland, and remained there until
1877. In that year he came to Texas, believing
there were greater opportunities in
the Southwest than existed in the East. He
settled in Ovilla, Ellis county; while living
there he attended a course of lectures at the
University of Louisiana, and later removed
to Waxahachie. The success of the homeopathic
school attracted his attention, and he
determined, with the disposition of a true
scientist, to investigate the system. For this
purpose he went Chicago, and entered the
Hahnemann Medical College, and was graduated
from that institution. He then returned
to Texas, and located in Dallas, where he has
won large patronage, and met with marked
success. He is a member of the Homeopathic
Medical Society, and is deeply interested in
the success of the entire brotherhood. In
his political opinions he adheres to the principles
of the Democratic party, but he is
wholly independent in his voting. He belongs
to the Methodist Episcopal Church, and
has been a member of the I. O. O. F. for a
number of years.
The Doctor was married in 1870, to Miss
Mary E. Slay, a native of Delaware. Their
marriage was celebrated in Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania. One child was born to them,
M. FURGARSON, retail grocer.Nothing
so visibly shows the strength
and prosperity of Dallas' trade as the
number of large concerns engaged in handling
the staple necessaries of life. Prominent
among them is the pushing grocery
house of Mr. Furgarson, which is located in
West Dallas. He was born in Carroll county,
Mississippi, July 2, 1846, being the eldest
of nine sons and four daughters born to J.
T. and Sarah (Stovall) Furgarson. J. M.
Furgarson was reared on a farm in the county
of his nativity and remained with his parents
until the war-cloud burst in 1861. On the
4th of May, 1862, he enlisted in Company
E, Fourth Mississippi Infantry, Sears' Brigade,
French's Division and Stewart's Corps,
and served under General Joe E. Johnston in
the Georgia and Alabama campaigns, participating
in the battle of New Hope Church,
Atlanta, Lovejoy, Kenesaw Mountain, Franklin,
Tennessee, and others of less importance.
He was wounded at Franklin, Tennessee, and
was disabled for sixty days, this being the
only time he was off duty during the war.
He served until the close, and honorably
surrendered at Fort Blakely, Florida, in
April, 1865. After the war he returned to
his Mississippi home and for a short time
thereafter attended school and assisted in
tilling the old homestead. His marriage to
Miss Ruby C. Lane took place December 29,
1870. She was a native of Carroll county,
Mississippi, a daughter of Simon T. Lane,
who was from North Carolina, and Caroline
M., nee Marshall, both of Scotch ancestry.
For one year after his marriage Mr. Furgarson
resided on a farm in Choctaw county,
the three subsequent years being spent in his
native county. At the end of this time he
went to Le Flore county and there remained
until he came to Texas, in 1878, locating
near Wheatland, Dallas county, where farming
occupied his attention until August,
1885. He then purchased his present home
in West Dallas, containing two and seven-tenths
acres. November 13, 1886, he
became Deputy Sheriff under W. H. Lewis
and served as such for three years. In 1890
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/471/: accessed November 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.