Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 472 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
he made the race for Sheriff but was beaten
by about 130 votes. March 3, 1891, he
opened a grocery and feed store in West
])allas and in this short time has built up a
trade and founded a reputation ranking him
in every way but in age with the oldest
houses of the city of West Dallas. A family
of six children has been born to himself and
wife, five of whom are still living: Sarah
Alice, Willie E ugh, Montague, Homer and
Robert Chappell. Lonnie died at the age of
thirteen months. Mrs. Furgarson is a
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church,
an exemplary Christian and a noble and
thoughtful wife and mother. In his political
views Mr. Furgarson affiliates with the
:) ~ ILLIAM H. BENNETT was born in
? Franklin county, Georgia, April 30,
1825, son of Hiram Bennett, who
was also a native of Georgia, born in 1798.
The senior Mr. Bennett went from Georgia to
Tennessee when he was a young man, and after
remaining there a while returned to Georgia
and married Dosia Dobs. She was born in
Georgia, in 1805, and died in camp soon
after their arrival in Texas, in 1845, aged
forty years. She bore him nine children,
namely: J. Madison, who died at the age of
sixty-eight years; Delilah, wife of Redrick
Manning, and after his decease in 1843
married John H. Barlow; Sarah A., wife of
James Cole; W. H.; Clark and Elisha, both
deceased; David; Josiah; and Mary J., wife
of William Cole. For his second wife Mr.
Bennett married Sarah Dongan, in 1846.
Following are children of that union: John
C.; Solomon M.; Emily E., wife of Isaac
Wilkinson; Martha N.; and A. Stephenson
and Alfred L.,twins;-all now living in
Texas excepting the twins. Hiram Bennett
moved from Georgia to Alabama in 1833,
to Arkansas in 1840, and to Texas in 1845,
settling on Mesquite creek east of Dallas
city; then moved to Eagle Ford on Elm fork
of the Trinity river, next to Arkansas again
and finally back to Texas.
William H. Bennett, the subject of this
sketch, was married in Arkansas, September
29, 1843, to Miss Sidney Manning, who was
born to Redrick Manning, in Fayette county,
Georgia, January 3, 1827. Her father,
Redrick Manning, died in Arkansas in 1843,
at the age of sixty-two years; her mother,
whose Inaiden name was Sarah Wiliford,died
in 1837. The three children of Mr. and
Mrs. Manning are Sidney, wife of W. H.
Bennett; Sarah A., wife of Benjamin Meral;
and Travis. Mr. Manning's second wife was,
before her marriage, Miss Delilah Bennett,
and by her he also had three children,
Dosia, Bennett and Elizabeth, all deceased.
1CEHAEL T. CONE. -The beautiful
Emerald Isle has contributed to
America some of her most loyal citizens,
among whom we find the subject of
this brief biographical sketch. He was born
in county Galway, Ireland, in 1858, and in
his youth emigrated to the United States with
his parents who settled at Maysville, Kentucky.
In 1875 he came to Dallas, Texas,
and secured employment with the companies
then constructing railroads over the State.
While serving these corporations he filled
many positions of trust guiding his conduct
by the strictest principles of honor and integrity.
When the work of construction was
finished he embarked in the grocery business,
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/472/: accessed September 20, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.