Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 480 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
first ward and as far as is known is one of the
oldest voters. lie has never turned benedict,
preferring the freedom of bachelor life. In religion
he is an Episcopalian and a representative
of the Established Church. He takes
but little interest in politcs, but votes with
the Democratic party.
Mr. Cade is a pioneer of this city and has
always been regarded as one of its most honored
and respected citizens. He has gained
the respect of all his fellow citizens by his
honesty and good work.
OBERT I. LAWS.-This gentleman
is one of the rising young men of Dallas,
and is the proprietor of a new and
nicely equipped board and sale stable. He
is a native of Texas, and dates his birth at
Dallas, July 27, 1860. He is the youngest
of a family of three children born to George
W. and Martlla E. (Record) Laws. His
father was born near Lewisburgh, Marshall
county, Tennessee, October 20, 1829, and was
reared in that State as a farmer and trader.
Emigrating to Texas at an early day, he settled
near the spot where Dallas now stands.
Becoming dissatisfied with the West, however,
he returned to the land of his birth in
1847, where he remained until October 5,
1854. At that time he was married to Miss
Martha E. Record, a daughter of George W.
and iMahulda (Hedsperth) Record. Her father,
a well-to-do farmer, moved to Texas in 1857,
and was prominently identified with the settlement
and development of Dallas county.
His death occurred in 1869. Her mother
was born in 1828, and died in 1855. Mr.
Laws' father again took up his residence in
the village of Dallas, and was closely connected
with northern Texas and Dallas
county in every step of her prosperity. He
at one time embarked in a commercial enterprise,
and, in company with Captain Mc(Govern,
purchased a steamboat, the "Sallie
Haines," which he loaded with a cargo of cotton
and other products for the lower river
trade. Unfortunately, at a point below the
city of Dallas, they struck a snag, the boat
sank, and they lost their entire cargo.
Mr. Laws was elected to the office of
County Clerk, which position he filled with
entire satisfaction to his constituents for a
term of two years. His death occurred February
8, 1881. He bore the enviable reputation
of being his worst enemy, which is a
eulogy that few can have pronounced over
their graves. His virtues were always great
enough to be always prominent. His faults
were always small enough to be excused. The
mother of our subject died April 25, 1861,
and her untimely death was a source of much
bereavement to her family and many friends.
Deprived of a mother's loving care at a
tender age, Robert H. Laws was early in life
thrown upon his own resources, to a certain
extent, although he was reared by kind
friends. He began life as an office boy in a
livery and sale stable, and in 1883 he engaged
in business for himself. His first venture
was a livery, board, and sale stable,
located at 308 and 310 Elm street, he being
in partnership with T. O. Hargis. This partnership
lasted only two months, T. O. Hargis
retiring and Mr. Laws continuing at the
same place for three years. He then disposed
of his interests in this establishment,
and became associated with Clark
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/480/: accessed October 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.