Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 485 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
~ ITR OF DALSCUNYI
E. Cable, he_opened up the business he is
now successfully conducting. He is the only
survivor of his family, and is noted for his
generosity, hospitality, and bearing of the
true Southern gentleman. His early education
was obtained in the district schools of
Dallas county. Later in life he attended the
preparatory school at Culleoka, finishing his
education at Swanay, Greene county, Tennessee.
He is a member of the Coeur de Lion
Lodge, No. 8, K. of P. His political views are
in harmony with the Democratic principles.
C. WILLIAMS, a retired farmer, and
one of the most widely known and
highly respected citizens of Dallas
county, has been associated with its best interests
since December, 1845, making at that
time his first appearance on its scene of
He was born in Williamson county, Tennessee,
on April 1, 1819, being the son of
Jesse E. and Elizabeth Ann Smith (Greeg)
Williams, both of whom were natives of Virginia,
and both of Welsh ancestry. His
parents were married in the Old Dominion,
shortly afterward moving to Williamson
county, Tennessee, in which latter place our
subject was born. Subsequently they
to Bedford county, the same State,
when our subject was quite small, and it was
there that he was reared. His parents had
six children, all reaching adult years, three
being still alive. Our subject was the only
son and the oldest child. After his father's
death, and when he was about twelve years of
age, his mother married Colonel William
Burnett, our subject remaining a member of
his stepfather's family until he was grown.
His youth was spedt on a farm, and he re31
ceived his education in Dixon Academy, at
On June 24, 1841, he was married to Miss
Sarah M. Hughes, who was born in North
Carolina on March 24, 1819, a daughter of
William and Elsie Hughes. Her parents
moved from North Carolina to Tennessee
when she was quite young, where she was
reared, receiving her education at Columbia
Female College, Maury county, of the same
State. After his marriage Mr. Williams
settled on a farm in Bedford county, Tennessee,
where he remained until lie came to
Texas, making the journey overland with
horse teams. On arriving in Dallas county
he first located on a headlight in Peters'
colony, where he resided until 1855, thence
removing to Cedar Springs. At this latter
place he purchased land and followed farming
for over thirty years, remaining there until
1887. Mr. Williams taught the first school
in Dallas county for one term, and his wife
has the distinction of having been the first
female teacher in the same county.
He and his wife were members of the
Methodist Episcopal Church. His wife died
on January 20,1869, leaving to him the care
of six children. They had had ten children:
George E., born April 5, 1842, died November
1, 1857; Archelaus Madison, born May
10, 1844, died December 25, 1848; William
Hughes, born September 3, 1846, died October
15, 1848; Alice Ann Elizabeth, born
January 3, 1849, is the wife of Captain J. S.
Dowell, of McKinney, Texas; Thomas Jeffer.
son, born January 2, 1851, died September
28, 1887; Sarrenar Margaret Oleria, bQrq
September 17, 1853, died September 10,
1854; Mary Jane, born June 20, 1855, is the
wife of J. S. Hughes, of Dallas county,
Texas; Ben Hester, born May 18, 1857, is
now a resident of Kaufmain county, Texas;
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/485/: accessed April 26, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.