Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 492 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COONTY.
and action into lessons more useful than theory.
With this kind of training, and with a
spirit of adventure, he came to Texas and
settled at Mesquite, August 26, 1874, with
only a few dollars in his pocket. He first
engaged in school teaching, in which he soon
cane to the front rank as an instructor, and
his services were sought in various places.
His last school was taught in Linden, where
he had a large and flourishing attendance.
In 1875 he returned to Tennessee, and spent
some time at the old homestead, but came
again to Texas in 1876, and settled in Clay
county, building the first house ever erected in
what is now the populous town of Post Oak.
He also improved a farm in this locality, and
when in proper condition sold it for sufficient
capital to embark in the mercantile business
at Mesquite, where he has ever since been
Mr. Kimbrough's political life opened with
the Nineteenth Legislature, having run ahead
of his colleague, who was also elected, by
1,100 votes, demonstrating clearly his popularity.
November 6, 1888, he was elected to
the Senate of the twenty-first session of the
Legislature of Texas, by a majority over his
Union Labor competitor of 6,000 votes. He
represents the Sixteenth district, composed of
the counties of Dallas, Kaufman and Rockwall.
He served on the Committee on Claims
and Accounts, and also on other important
comrnlittees. Senator Kimbrough is a fluent
speaker, an earnest and logical debater, and
exhibits great tenacity and skilfull conduct,
through the mazes and opposition of legislators,
of any measure he thinks will be a
benefit to the people, not alone of his section
but of the State. He at once took his natural
position as one of the ablest men of the
Senate, and maintained it with rare skill and
judgment throughout the session. Perhaps
his main -characteristic is straightforward
earnestness of purpose and unflagging zeal of
the object he has in view. He is now yet in
the meridian of life, and has before him years
of usefulness. He is also doing a fine business
in a mercantile way, and is the owner of
a good farm in the county.
jOBERT C. BUCKNER, D. D., founder
and general manager of a large orphans,
home at Dallas, Texas, was born in
Tennessee, but reared in Kentucky. He is
the son of Daniel and Mary (Hampton) Buckner,
natives of South and North Carolina
respectively. The father moved to Kentucky
when our subject was a snall boy, and there
reared his family of six children, of whom
Robert C. was the fifth child. The father
professed religion in 1816, and walked twelve
miles to join the church. He was baptized
by Elder Caleb Witt, and began preaching
in 1823, and was ordained by Chestua Church,
Elders George Snider and James D. Sewell
Presbytery. He was the first Baptist minister
to preach at Madisonville, Tennessee, and at
the first protracted meeting at that place he
baptized twenty-five persons, five of whom
afterward became Baptist ministers. Three
of them were Bradley Kimbrough, Samuel
Henderson, D. D., and his own son, the late
H. F. Buckner, D. D.
The latter was among the most noted of
American ministers to the Indians. He was
a minister to the Creek Indians for thirtyfour
years, and during this time arranged a
Creek alphabet, made them a grammar and
hymn book, and also translated the greater
portion of the Scripture into the Creek language.
He and his interpreter spent one year
in New York in organizing and properly
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/492/: accessed May 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.