Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 496 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
Colman, now principal of the McKennie
High School of Dallas; Maggie, born in Perryville,
Kentucky, November 23, 1857, was
married February 1, 1877, to James L. Good,
now the senior member of the firm of James
L. Good Addie, born
October 5, 1862, in Paris, Lamar county,
Texas, was married May 25, 1881, to Rev. A.
F. Bedo, now principal teacher at the Buckner
Home; Sam, born July 11, 1860, died
February 10, 1861; Joe Dudly, born in
Paris, Texas, April 14, 1872; and H. F., October
13, 1878, at Dallas.
>'W ILLIAM HARRIS, Notary Public
of the city of Dallas, was born in
Lowndes county, Alabama, April 11,
1830, the sixth of eight children born to
Randolph C. and Sarah (Quartz) Harris,
natives of South Carolina. The parents were
married in their native. State, and afterward
move to Lowndes county, Alabama, and in
1836 to Bowie county, Texas, where the
father took up a league-and-labor head-right.
They remained in that county until death,
the father dying in 1847, and the mother in
1837. Of their eight children, two are now
living: James M., who resides near Van A1styne,
Grayson county, Texas, and the subject
of this sketch.
The latter was reared to farm life in Bowie
county, Texas, and graduated at the Union
University, at Murfreesboro, Tennessee, and
at Lebanon Law School. After leaving school
he engaged in teaching at Quitman, Wood
county, Texas, and in 1858 moved to Dallas,
and engaged in the same occupation near
Cedar Springs, and two years later worked
in the County Clerk's office. In 1861 Mr.
Harris enlisted in Captain Good's battery as
Second Lieutenant, and was in the battle of
Elkhorn, was with the Rangers in Louisiana,
Arkansas and Southern Missouri, later was
in Walter P. Lane's Cavalry, and served in
the battle of Prairie Grove, Arkansas. iHe
was then sent under General Steele, and later
under General Maxey, into Indian Territory,
but at the close of the war returned to Grayson
county, where he engaged in teaching.
He afterward followed farming at Farmer's
branch, Dallas county, and in 1880 settled
permanently in Dallas city. Mr. Harris takes
an active part in politics, voting with the
Democratic party, and is now serving as Alderman
of the Ninth Ward, and as Chairman
of the Committee on Schools and Education.
Socially, he is a member of the James A.
Smith Lodge, No. 495, A. F. and
religiously both he and his wife are members
of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
Mr. Harris was married in this county,
April 10, 1867, to Martha Alice Cochran, a
native of Dallas county, and a daughter of
William M. and Nancy J. (Hughes) Cochran,
natives of South and North Carolina, respectively.
Mr. and Mrs. Harris have had seven
children: Laura J., wife of H. H. Jacoby, of
Dallas; Clara A.; Mary M.; James H., who
died in 1873, aged seven months; Willie R.,
Archie B., and John C.
ORATIO NELSON HASKELL, who
has been a resident of Dallas county. for
a quarter of a century, has had a varied
experience on this sphere since his existence
here began, in 1825. The place of his birth
was Graves county, Kentucky, and he is a son
of James and Susie (Alexander) Haskell,
natives of Rhode Island and Georgia, respectively.
The father was a farmer and fol
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/496/: accessed November 20, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.