Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Page: 499 of 1,110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DALLAS COUNTY.
where he died in 1853, and the mother also
died in that State in about 1865. Grandfather
Lawrence participated in the Creek war, and
the Yeargan family are among the early
pioneers of Tennessee. ,
Nathan A. was reared to farm life and
educated in the subscription schools of Tennessee.
He moved to Texas in 1854. In
1862 he enlisted in T. C. Hawpe's Regiment,
later was in General Spate's Regiment, and
was in service nearly three years. He participated
in the battle of Newtonia, Missouri,
and after being dismounted Mr. Yeargan
drove a band wagon, being principally in
Louisiana, Arkansas and Missouri. At the
close of the service he returned to Dallas
county, purchased a farm in Precinct No. 1,
which he afterward improved. In 1875 he
cane to the city of Dallas, and engaged in
fruit gardening, which he followed many
Mr. Yeargan was married in Tennessee, in
1844, to Charlotte S. Davis, a native of Bedford
county, Tennessee, and daughter of
Henry and Nancy(Sims) Davis,.natives of Virginia.
At an early day they became pioneers
of Bedford county, where they remained until
their death. Mr. and Mrs. Yeargan have
had ten children, namely: John, a real-estate
agent of Dallas; Jennie, wife of William
Rogers, of Dallas; Powell, also a resident of
Dallas; Thomas, of Fairland, a suburb of
Dallas; William Nathan, who died in 1881;
Anna, wife of Rev. W. R. Manning of Louisville,
Texas; Emma, wife of Thomas Eudes,
of Weatherford; Edmund D., engaged in the
grocery business on Ervay street; Frusanna
and Fletcher, in stationery business in Dallas.
Mr. Yeargan affiliates with the Democratic
party, and religiously both he and his wife
are members of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, of which he has been a member for
over fifty years. He is active in church and
Sabbath-school work, and aided in establishing
the Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church,
and is one of the charter members of the
H. HUVELLE, one of the representative
men of Dallas county, was born
o in the northern part of France, in 1859,
the youngest of two children born to E. and
Elizabeth (Lenglet) Huvelle, also natives of
France. The father died in his native country,
in 1865, and in 1869 the mother came to
Ottawa, La Salle county, Illinois, and in 1870
to Christian county, same State, and in 1875
to Dallas, where she died, in June of the
same year. Our subject's only brother, Hector,
is married and resides in Weatherford,
The subject of this sketch caine to Dallas,
Texas, at the age of fifteen years, but was
educated in the schools of Ottawa and Pana,
Illinois. He first engaged in the liquor business
with L. Caperan, and later was a silent
partner. In 1881 he engaged in the same
business on Main street, and afterward in the
wholesale and retail liquor business, which
he continued until in January, 1890. Mr.
Huvelle now resides at 577 Ervay street,
Dallas. He has acquired considerable property
in the city, and in 1890 erected the
Times-herald building, a three-story brick
structure on Commerce street. He takes an
active part in politics, and served two terms
as Alderman of the Fifth Ward. He was a
member of the Volunteer Fire Department
in 1881, having been Foreman of Engine
Company No. 1. Socially, he is a member
of Tannehill Lodge, No. 42, A. F.
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas., book, 1892; Chicago, Illinois. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20932/m1/499/: accessed October 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Public Library.