[Historical Museum located in the Library Building of the University of North Texas]

Description

Inside view of the UNT Historical Museum located on the third floor of the Library Building. The museum started out in the history offices in the Administration Building in the spring of 1925. By 1931 a collection had developed that included manuscipts and documents, arms and weapons from 1840 through the World War, and more. Notice the buffalo head mounted on the far wall. When the museum later closed down, the buffalo was "rescued" and placed upon the wall of a local bar called "The Final Exam" located on Fry Street. The buffalo was called "The Colonel." His head was ... continued below

Physical Description

1 photograph : negative, b&w ; 8 x 10 in.

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. Creation Date: Unknown.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: From Plowshares to Diplomas: Digitizing Early Denton History and was provided by Denton Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 75 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this photograph.

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Denton Public Library

The Denton Public Library partnered with UNT Libraries on a grant From Plowshares to Diplomas: Digitizing Early Denton History, which was completed in 2007. Materials include local history photographs, maps, city directories, and some books. Funding for this project was provided by the Forrest C. Lattner Foundation.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Inside view of the UNT Historical Museum located on the third floor of the Library Building. The museum started out in the history offices in the Administration Building in the spring of 1925. By 1931 a collection had developed that included manuscipts and documents, arms and weapons from 1840 through the World War, and more. Notice the buffalo head mounted on the far wall. When the museum later closed down, the buffalo was "rescued" and placed upon the wall of a local bar called "The Final Exam" located on Fry Street. The buffalo was called "The Colonel." His head was placed rather low on the wall and many people would hit their heads on "The Colonel." This became known as, "butting heads with The Colonel." [anecdote courtesy of Alex Williams, Denton, Texas]

Physical Description

1 photograph : negative, b&w ; 8 x 10 in.

Subjects

Keywords

University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

From Plowshares to Diplomas: Digitizing Early Denton History

These materials include historic photographs, books, maps, city directories, and records from numerous Denton women's clubs. Funding for this project was provided by the Forrest C. Lattner Foundation.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • Unknown

Covered Time Period

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • Feb. 15, 2007, 2:39 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Feb. 24, 2017, 1:50 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 75

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Help Map this Photograph

Tell us if you know the precise location of this item. In the lower-left corner of map below, select either the pin () or the box (). Use the cross-hair to drop a pin or drag to create a new rectangle. You can zoom in, expand to full screen, change the terrain type, or in some cases switch to street-view so that it's easy for you to determine the coordinates.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

International Image Interoperability Framework

IIF Logo

We support the IIIF Presentation API

[Historical Museum located in the Library Building of the University of North Texas], photograph, Date Unknown; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth21579/: accessed November 18, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Denton Public Library.