A new history of Texas for schools : also for general reading and for teachers preparing themselves for examination Page: 32 of 412
This book is part of the collection entitled: From Republic to State: Debates and Documents Relating to the Annexation of Texas, 1836-1856 and was provided to The Portal to Texas History by the UNT Libraries.
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
SAN SABA MISSION.
[1700 - 1744
the building was formerly frescoed in brilliant red and
blue designs, making a dazzling effect; but time and the
desecrating hands of ruthless sight-seers have left few of
Alamo Mission.-In the heart of this "City of Mis-
sions" rises the scarred visage of the Alamo, a name
hallowed by its baptism of blood.t This mission is sup-
posed to have been founded in 1700 on the Rio Grande.
After several changes in both name and location,, it was
(about 1718) removed to San Pedro Springs under the
name of San Antonio de Valero, so called from Saint
Anthony of Padua and the Duke of Valero, Viceroy of
Mexico. It was next moved to the Military Plaza in San
Antonio, and finally on May 8, 1744, the first stone of
the present Alamo was laid, and it was given the name
that is now so precious to every lover of liberty and
San Saba Mission.-In Menard County, on the San
Saba River, in 1734, was founded the San Saba Mission.
All went well until a silver-mine was discovered near by.
Miners, flocking from all the country around, committed
so many outrages upon the Indians that the savages
* Some idea of the work done by this mission may be obtained from the fol-
lowing extract taken from a report made to his Bishop by Father Lopez, President
of the Texas Missions: " Population of Concepcion in 1762, 207; number of bap-
tisms up to 1785, 792; stock owned, 600 cattle, 300 horses, 2200 sheep; population
in 1793 only 51."
t It must be remembered that the building now called the Alamo Mission is the
-ruin of the church of the mission of the Alamo or of San Antonio de Valero. The
name Alamo was given the mission from the fact that the buildings were erected
in a grove of cotton-wood trees, Alamo being the Spanish for cotton-wood.
$ An account of the plan of the Alamo will be given later.
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Pennybacker, Anna J. Hardwicke. A new history of Texas for schools : also for general reading and for teachers preparing themselves for examination, book, 1895; Palestine, Tex.. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2388/m1/32/: accessed September 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; .